discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Nutella

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 26 Feb, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Nutella Reply with quote

I first saw a jar of Nutella in my late teens. Then, the idea of spreading chocolate on bread made me laugh out loud.

But recently, Nutella has featured enticingly in a couple of episodes of Mario Batali's show "Ciao America", so when I saw it in a grocery store a couple of days ago, I picked up a jar.

I took a tortilla and spread some nutella on half of it, folded it over, and grilled it in our clamshell grill until the tortilla was a bit toasty. Sliced in half and served for two. It was brilliant! stomp stomp Hazelnutty and chocolaty and melty and crispy. skip skip

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Nutella Reply with quote

blm wrote:

I took a tortilla and spread some nutella on half of it, folded it over, and grilled it in our clamshell grill until the tortilla was a bit toasty. Sliced in half and served for two. It was brilliant!

I stomp C stomp A stomp N stomp N stomp O stomp T stomp believe it Exclamation Here I have been mocking the advertisers who keep talking about what a nutritious spread it is and thinking that it must taste disgusting.

Oh dear. Now am I going to have to buy a jar of nutella too? la la la

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Nutella Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
Here I have been mocking the advertisers who keep talking about what a nutritious spread it is and thinking that it must taste disgusting.

I'm not surprised that it tastes good. After all, it's chocolate and hazelnuts mixed together in a paste but nutritious? How can that possibly be nutritious? Maybe the advertisers are saying it's nutritious like they say that Frosted Flakes are nutritious.

It's not like it's vegemite. I tasted vegemite last year for the first time. It must be a completely acquired taste. It was vile!!! but millions of Australians eat vegemite sandwiches every day and probably without gagging. skip

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently heard of nutella being used as a praline substitute but I'm ashamed to admit that I can't remember how. I'll ask around to see whether someone can remind me.

On the (side) subject of vegemite, has anyone tried the similarly loved/reviled product called Marmite? I am regularly shunned by my family when I eat it scraped thinly over toast. One benefit is that the non-believers can be terrorised by chasing them around the house will an open jar of marmite.
Goldilocks
registered

Slogan:

Something Special In The Student

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm... nutella

Quote:
I took a tortilla and spread some nutella on half of it, folded it over, and grilled it in our clamshell grill until the tortilla was a bit toasty. Sliced in half and served for two. It was brilliant! Hazelnutty and chocolaty and melty and crispy.

That does sounds brilliant! I'll have to try it.

My favorite is manderin orange slices dipped in the chocolate-hazelnut goodness. I soon after discovered that Nutella is good with just about any fruit dipped in it. Graham crackers, animal crackers and oreos are great too. Anything as a means to the spread.

Hmm... this does sounds like a healthy snack!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldilocks wrote:
[...] Nutella is good with just about any fruit dipped in it. Graham crackers, animal crackers and oreos are great too. Anything as a means to the spread.

Hmm... this does sounds like a healthy snack!

Fruit, graham crackers, animal crackers, I can imagine. But oreos?? Oh my no. That seems like the primo way to guarantee dislike of nutella!

(Oreos make me carsick.)

David wrote:

On the (side) subject of vegemite, has anyone tried the similarly loved/reviled product called Marmite?

I've seen the jars at other people's houses but have not yet been invited to try the contents. Isn't it pretty salty, yeasty, bitter? Perhaps a nutella and vegemite (or marmite, if you prefer) sandwich. It would be along the lines of peanut butter and jelly. Or not.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Thu 03 Mar, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
I've seen the jars at other people's houses but have not yet been invited to try the contents.

I've never seen any jars anywhere except at a party where we all brought food from our ethnic heritage (I brought over-cooked vegetables--teehee). The Australian brought a jar of vegemite just to make us crazy. I was the only one of about 25 who tried it. whoo hoo!

He also brought a selection of excellent cheeses, lovely crackers and expensive olives. I really brought a delicious couscous salad.

llizard wrote:
Isn't it pretty salty, yeasty, bitter?

Yes la la la

llizard wrote:
Perhaps a nutella and vegemite (or marmite, if you prefer) sandwich. It would be along the lines of peanut butter and jelly. Or not.

A nutella and vegemite sandwich sounds like a stomach ache waiting to happen. boo!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
One benefit is that the non-believers can be terrorised by chasing them around the house will an open jar of marmite.

Are you Australian? I didn't think anyone but the Aussies ate vegemite or marmite. Awful stuff.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 06 Mar, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
David wrote:
One benefit is that the non-believers can be terrorised by chasing them around the house will an open jar of marmite.

Are you Australian? I didn't think anyone but the Aussies ate vegemite or marmite. Awful stuff.

I'm English. Marmite is our thing. There are only two attitudes - love it or hate it. I think 98% of the population hate it. Vegemite is of Australian origin and they constantly harp on about it's superiority. I wouldn't know as I can't bring myself to taste it as the smell is horrible. I know that sounds bizarre coming from a marmite-lover. I just love the way people recoil when they sniff an opened marmite jar. If you're ever tempted to try marmite I would recommend it on thick buttered toast spread very, very thinly. So thinly in fact that it doesn't quite form a complete layer. It's flavour is very strong. I also like it with peanut butter, espacially the brands with added sugar as it counteracts the sweetness. For some reason it makes me think of roast beef although the flavour is nothing like it. I have no idea why.
MicheleCerulli
registered

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutella is simply terribly good, in Italy we grow up eating it with our wonderful bread or focaccia happy

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jun, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Pesident's Choice Reply with quote

I just tried the PC version of Nutella called "Chocolate Hazelnut" ; it's a pretty tasty substitute if you can't find the real thing.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: