discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

"Sideways" - drunken bore or touching film?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: "Sideways" - drunken bore or touching film? Reply with quote

I rented "Sideways" (now out on DVD) the other day. I was really wary, as, any movie which has such big hype and universal acclaim must be BAD; right? wrong! I thought it was amazingly good. A story about two bozos going on a wine tour looking "to get laid" cannot possibly be charming; right ? wrong - it can be.

Review by Roger Ebert (not for lizard) http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041028/REVIEWS/40922017/1001

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 21 Apr, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Sideways" - drunken bore or touching film? Reply with quote

MEF wrote:

Review by Roger Ebert (not for lizard) http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041028/REVIEWS/40922017/1001

Thanks for the warning, MEF. But in this case, it is okay; I have seen the movie.

I too thought it was a very nice movie - somewhat overhyped - in fact I quite liked it. But I think I really would have liked it much much more if I hadn't been told over and over that I HAD to see the movie.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
One thing really bothered me though. In one scene, the wine connaisseur gets very drunk - this is not the problem - everyone makes mistakes once or twice and gets drunk. What bugged me was that he held his glass by the bowl rather than the stem. I don't believe that he would ever allow himself to do that. Unless that was the author's way of showing us that this guy was just a poser....

A movie that I think has not gotten nearly the same hype but should have is "Spanglish". It is easily as touching as well as being an all round good movie. I was most surprised by the fact that Adam Sandler was in a lead role,
Spoiler (highlight to read):
playing a sensitive, caring fellow who was not at all a buffoon

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jun, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: "Sideways" - drunken bore or touching film? Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
I rented "Sideways" (now out on DVD) the other day. I was really wary, as, any movie which has such big hype and universal acclaim must be BAD; right? wrong! I thought it was amazingly good. A story about two bozos going on a wine tour looking "to get laid" cannot possibly be charming; right ? wrong - it can be.

I have to say I didn't enjoy Sideways, but my (male) companion did. This isn't a chick flick.

Guy
registered

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the movie was ok but did not live up to the hype. I had been told it was a great commentary on wines. I disagree. I think MEF has a better take on it.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy wrote:
I would say that the movie was ok but did not live up to the hype. I had been told it was a great commentary on wines. I disagree. I think MEF has a better take on it.

Well, there was one very good and memorable speech about wine in the film -- the little speech in which our "hero" was talking about why he liked the particular type of wine he was always going on about.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Wine used as a metaphor Reply with quote

I think that the whole business about the search for the perfect wine was used as a metaphor for the search for love. With the overall theme of 'the triumph of friendship', why should this movie not appeal to "chicks"? The search for love and the finding of friendship sounds pretty "chicky" to me; no?

Last edited by Mats on Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wine used as a metaphor Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
why shoud this movie not appeal to "chicks"? The search for love and the finding of friendship sounds pretty "chicky" to me; no?

Well, I'm not sure that I would ever label myself as a "chick" but I probably do fall into the category. And I liked the movie. I didn't think it was a great movie but it was certainly enjoyable.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: