discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Spectacular Failure

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Spectacular Failure Reply with quote

Tonight we decided to have hamburgers. whoo hoo! I found a recipe entitled "Best Burgers" and thought I'd give it a try. It said that the 2 tbsp water would make the burgers moist and tender. Sure, it makes them so tender they fall apart! They were burger like when I put them on the grill and I thought they'd be okay. When I went out a few minutes later to turn them, they had leaked through the grill. I was able to save most of the meat by putting the remains in a frying pan and cooking it on the barbecue. We had what I called "burger scramble". It tasted fine, in fact, quite delicious but they weren't what you'd call hamburgers. The rest of the dinner was fine--spinach-from-the-garden salad with tomatoes from the farmers' market. whoo hoo!

What a lucky escape I had. I was going to use that recipe for our Canada Day barbecue party. la la la skip stomp stomp stomp whoohoo!

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spectacular Failure Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
It said that the 2 tbsp water would make the burgers moist and tender. Sure, it makes them so tender they fall apart!

2 tbsp water doesn't sound like that much. How many burgers was it for Question

I think there's nothing like finely chopped onions to keep burgers moist.

Something interesting I learned on Rachael Ray recently: if you overwork ground meat, it gets tough. I occasionally cook with ground pork (for example in mainly veggie stir fries). Now that I know not to overwork the meat, it does come out more tender. (With ground pork, I am usually aiming for "scramble".) I like to marinate it in a little Chinese cooking wine, soy sauce and green onion.

Hmm, I wonder if it would be better to use 2 tbsp wine instead of water for burgers. It would tend to evaporate much faster than water, and would also add flavour.

at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! <--- summer flowers

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Spectacular Failure Reply with quote

blm wrote:

I made 6 rather thin patties, the recipe said to make 4 thick ones but I like my burgers thinner than they say. I used about 3/4 lb of meat. My recipe called for 1 lb. I eyeballed the 2 tbsp so I'm quite certain that there was too much water for the amount of meat. I thought it would dry up more than it did. I'm certain that it isn't the fault of the recipe but the fault of the recipe reader. whoo hoo!

The following night I redeemed myself by making Garlic Thyme Pork Chops (except that I used rosemary instead of thyme). The onions were particularly good. We also had steamed broccoli and boiled new potatoes with a little butter and parsley. Delicious!! la la la

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jun, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Spectacular Failure Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
blm wrote:

I made 6 rather thin patties, the recipe said to make 4 thick ones but I like my burgers thinner than they say.

Is it possible that the water trick (or wine or...) would work well only with thick patties? I find think patties tend to break up easily.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Binder Reply with quote

Why not use eggs to bind the loose mixture?

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Binder Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
Why not use eggs to bind the loose mixture?

There was an egg in there but the recipe also called for water. I've looked at other recipes since and none of them call for water. I think I'll leave water out of the equation or at least use the correct amount of both water and meat. Luckily, I've made 2 much better dinners since the debacle of Sunday evening so I feel I've redeemed myself. at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! whoohoo!

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Spectacular Failure Reply with quote

blm wrote:

Something interesting I learned on Rachael Ray recently: if you overwork ground meat, it gets tough. I occasionally cook with ground pork (for example in mainly veggie stir fries).

A few years ago we found ourselves wanting a good BBQ'd hamburger. But everytime we began to think seriously we realized that we don't really like ground beef. Too beefy! Too strong! Too sweaty! Bits of hoof and God knows what else... Eeuuuchhhhh! (BSE burgers?)

As a result...

We always use ground pork. Not too lean, in fact not lean is better on the grill . The fat all cooks out anyway and creates more smoke. Damn good burgers and for some reason they don't need an egg to bind. Form thin patties and cook 'em over the highest heat until they form a really nice dark brown crust. Try it, you'll never go back. I swear!

Recipe:

Ground Pork
About 1/4 part dried breadcrmbs
1/8 part very finely minced onion
Dried thyme
Black pepper <=== lots
A few chili flakes <== maybe
Garlic granuales (or fresh optional, but dried works very well here.)
Knorr chicken stock powder to flavour instead of salt.

DataRyder

P.S. Interesting about Rachael Ray's comments on not mixing too much. I've always found exactly the same thing. Less handled is better.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: