discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Stovetop cooking

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Stovetop cooking Reply with quote

With the weather being so hot and humid, I've been experimenting with using the stovetop for some things that I normally bake in the oven. The idea of putting the oven on is just too awful, right now, even with air conditioning. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Tonight I did pork biriyani entirely on the stovetop. I prepared the meat and rice the usual way, and instead of putting it covered into the oven for 45 minutes, I left it covered on top of the stove with the stove as low as it would go for 45 minutes to an hour. It turned out great; the only difference between the stove top and oven versions is that the oven version gets some crispy (or dried out, depending on how you view it) rice on top. I'm going to do it on top of the stove all the time now. bravo! la la la la la la

About three weeks ago, I made chocolate chip cookies, and instead of making individual cookies in the oven, I put the mixture into a square pan and cooked it with steam in the covered wok. It took about 25 minutes to cook, and got a bit unpleasantly damp on top, but it did cook. It was ok, but it wasn't n't really cookie-like. My husband said it was like a cross between fudge and cookies. I would do it again, but I'd make them in the oven normally.

About two weeks ago, I thought of making fruit with dumplings for dessert. I used baking powder biscuit dough for the dumplings. This was unsuccessful. I didn't make the fruit runny enough, and the dumplings were kind of tough. I'm not sure if the toughness was due to making only 1/6 of a recipe and not mixing it properly or maybe it was due to the biscuit dough not being damp enough. (I've used biscuit dough for stew-dumplings in the past and they've always been extremely fluffy.) I'm not sure I'll try this again. The fruit by itself would have been better. stomp

whoohoo! whoohoo! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! at last! la la la la la la la la la la la la

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jun, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my biriyani recipe:

• Meat and/or vegetables cut into cubes
  • Chopped onions
  • Patak's Biriyani paste
  • Basmati rice
  • Whole cloves, peppercorns, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick
  • Raisins

• Brown the pork cubes with the onion in some oil in a dutch oven (I did it in four batches because I was making eight servings, six to go in the freezer for future lunches)
  • Add the biriyani paste. (I used about half a jar for the eight portions.)
  • Add some water to cover the meat about 2/3 deep, and let simmer.
  • Prepare basmati rice (make lots) and add the cinnamon stick, a few whole cloves, peppercorns and cardamom pods to the rice before cooking. I put the cloves and peppercorns in a tea ball to make it easy to remove them.
  • Bring the rice to a boil but only cook it for about 10 minutes.
  • Remove the junk from the rice (it should all be on top, especially if you use a tea ball)
  • Sprinkle some raisins on top of the meat
  • Spread the partially-cooked rice over the meat
  • Cover the pot and leave it on the lowest heat for 45 minutes to an hour
My only complaint with tonight's biriyani is that I didn't make enough rice. The rice is arguably the best part - the biriyani "juice" gets drawn up into the rice as it cooks.

Tonight I served the biriyani with "Sambar Dal with Carrots and Peas".

Here's the recipe I used for Sambar Dal http://www.thimmakka.org/Activities/Recipes/recipes.html#sambar. I left out the curry leaves (don't have any) and dhania powder (never heard of it, but it sounds like it's just ground dal), and used carrots and peas instead of pumpkin. I assumed "flakes of garlic" means "cloves of garlic". I also used at least twice as much ("as many"?) cumin and mustard seeds as it calls for. Whatever, it turned out great. bravo!

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jun, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:
I left out the curry leaves (don't have any) and dhania powder (never heard of it, bravo!

Dhania is just the hidustanni name for corriander. No big deal. Curry leaves are worth the effort if you can find them. Wonderful kind of green toasty taste. Unusual.

I'm not going to quote the whole post but I can attest blm makes a very tasty biryanni. It got me out of the biryanni closet a few years ago and we do it regualry but use our own spices instead of Patak's. But Patak's is really good

Interesting too. In India stoves are unheard of. Biryanni is always made on a the stove top. Different stove top methods sometimes include encasing the whole biryanni container (pot) in clay. (Not really necessary.) Some people also place a clean tea towel over the open mouth of the pot and place the lid on top. This has the effect of absorbing some of the water vapour.

- DataRyder

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: