discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Gas or Electric stove?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Gas or Electric stove? Reply with quote

We're thinking of getting a new stove (yay!!). Should we get gas or electric and why?

Currently (no pun intended), we have an electric stove. stomp skip la la la whoo hoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Sun 14 Aug, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas or Electric stove? Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
We're thinking of getting a new stove (yay!!). Should we get gas or electric and why?

I think in a perfect world I would choose Gas rangetop burners with an electric oven.

Sometimes these come as two seperate units, gas burners on a _counter top_ in one part of the kitchen with electric oven in another corner somewhere. I would love this.

Gas burners are very convenient and good ones burn much hotter than electric ranges with the obvious convenience of coming up to heat immediatlely.

Gas ovens are *not* known for being particularly efficient or convenient. I think many feel a good electric oven is far better in that they heat food (cook food) more evenly. I never met a gas oven I liked.

DataRyder

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Convection Oven Reply with quote

I agree with DR about having a gas range/electric oven. I would just add that I would make the oven component a convection one. For a good explanaton of the convection advantage see http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00042.asp

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gas or Electric stove? Reply with quote

DataRyder wrote:
I think in a perfect world I would choose Gas rangetop burners...

I thought of something else. If you should choose to go with some sort of gas burner stove top, one thing I would look for:

Many times the little grate (you know the elevated section above the burner where you'd place a kettle?). Sometimes these grates can be awkward if they're too high. If for example you misplaced a pot or kettle just slightly off to one side it might slip off and spill its contents.

In a perfect world my stove top with gas burners would be completely covered with a grate so I could put pots and pans anywhere on the stove top and not have to worry about teetering or spilling.

- DR

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a fan of the combination of gas hobs and electric (fan assisted) ovens. In the near future I'm going to have to replace both of mine due the rapidly increasing size of my kids. There isn't enough room to fit two of the largest pans on adjacent burners and the largest pots/baking trays that fit inside the oven just barely contain enough for the six of us. I think I'm going to have to buy something industrial. Whilst I'm at it I should check out industrial washing machines too.
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little net research and actual store research yesterday. Yow!! The duel fuel ranges were really expensive. The gas stoves with convection ovens are about $2500 CDN, a gas range is about $1000 as is an electric range. Perhaps we'll make do with a gas range with a plain gas oven and hope that technology has worked its wonders on gas ovens.

The best reason for getting one was from someone on another forum who said that the crust on her pound cake was better with a gas oven than with the electric oven. stomp stomp stomp I have never in my life made pound cake but I thought that was as good a reason as any. whoohoo! whoohoo!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Yikes indeed Reply with quote

Hmmm....that is a bit pricey! Too bad that ranges/ovens don't have the same priority as say cars; $2500 would then be peanuts.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that pound cakes were supposed to have crusts!

Hmmmm, I've only ever heard bad things about gas ovens. Maybe you should investigate electric stove and oven as well. I would be disinclined to get the kind of smooth surface stove top though. That just seems like a terrible accident waiting to happen. I feel sure that I would put groceries down on the stove without checking to make sure the stove was off.... stomp

David, one of my friends got an industrial gas stove (with gas oven) and she ended up HATING it. There was no insulation on the sides....

MEF wrote:
Too bad that ranges/ovens don't have the same priority as say cars; $2500 would then be peanuts.

I don't know. Eating is a much higher priority for me than driving. skip And with the price of petrol rising steadily, I'd rather spend my cash on stove fuel than car fuel. Maybe you should trade in your car, MrsBrown, for the gas stove/ electric oven. whoohoo!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Thu 18 Aug, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I know the supposed virtues of gas burners, I also know the dangers. Poufs of flame when you light things after the pilot light goes out. Burned my eyebrows and lashes once. I'd opt for electric burners and oven -- they work just fine. Use your outdoor propane gas barbecue for anything for which you need a flame.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: