discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

cucumbers cucumbers cucumbers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: cucumbers cucumbers cucumbers Reply with quote

In previous years, MrBrown planted 1 or maybe 2 cucumber plants and he felt that we didn't get enough cucumbers. This year, he planted 3 cucumber plants in the spring thinking that we just might have enough this year. It has, however, been a particularly good summer for cucumbers. Just this morning he picked 40 good sized cucumbers and more will be coming the in the next few days. The neighbours are starting to cross the street when they see us with a grocery bag in our hands (the zucchini plants were rather prolific as well Oh oh ) We don't much like pickles and can only eat so much tzatziki (mmmm, I love tzatziki) and that only takes 1 cucumber. Tonight we're having diced cucumber/tomato/onion/parsley/mint salad bravo! with some excellent bread. What should we do with our cucumbers? Would you like some?

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: cucumbers cucumbers cucumbers Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
What should we do with our cucumbers?

Cucumber uses that I can think of:

- tabbouleh bravo! (I can't imagine falafel without tabbouleh). The recipe I use has (all finely chopped) parsley, cucumber, tomato, soaked bulgur, green onions, and mint with dressing made of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Wait ... this sounds very much like your salad, except you didn't mention bulgur.

- raita (cucumber in yogurt with cumin)

Here's another interesting recipe for cucumber la la la http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/self/842?print=1

And for the seriously cucumber-wealthy: http://www.spaindex.com/images/jinsoon_135.jpg stomp stomp

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: cucumbers cucumbers cucumbers Reply with quote

blm wrote:

Here's another interesting recipe for cucumber la la la http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/self/842?print=1

I'd love to make cucumber skin tonic for my skin but sadly, MrBrown pulls up all the mint as soon as he sees a leaf. I complained tonight that I couldn't put mint in our salad and he said, with narrowed eyes and clenched teeth, "Mint is not allowed in the garden."

I quite like the picture of the cucumber foot bath. Perhaps if worst comes worst and many cucumbers are relegated to the compost (I can hear MrBrown shrieking in anguish already), I'll make a nice cucumber foot bath for us. stomp stomp stomp stomp stomp

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: cucumbers cucumbers cucumbers Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
What should we do with our cucumbers?

I remember that in Hungary they have a staple cucumber salad. I found these ones on the internet that sound about right: http://www.cooksrecipes.com/holiday/hungarian-cucumber-salad-recipe.html

recipes4us.co.uk - veg accompaniments - Hungarian
http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=25451

The first one seems simplest. I seem to recall the salad seemed simple. Very tasty, although I recall getting heartburn from eating a particularly large but delicious cucumber salad in Budapest. Slice the cucumbers really really thinly.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: cucumbers cucumbers cucumbers Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:

I'd love to make cucumber skin tonic for my skin but sadly, MrBrown pulls up all the mint as soon as he sees a leaf. I complained tonight that I couldn't put mint in our salad and he said, with narrowed eyes and clenched teeth, "Mint is not allowed in the garden."

We have mint growing in a smallish container on our balcony, along with a few other things (that it does indeed try to crowd out). It produces tons of mint, and it hasn't (yet???? Oh oh) spread to any of the other containers on the balcony. You could have a mint pot in your garden, or even away from your garden.

I love mint. bravo! bravo! bravo! bravo!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cucumbers cucumbers cucumbers Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:

"... with narrowed eyes and clenched teeth, "Mint is not allowed in the garden."

MrBrown has very good reason to forbid mint in the garden. Narrowing and clenching at the very suggestion is completely justified. The idea BLM is souns. We have had mint in a contained planter for a number of years and so far it has not spread. It's very useful to have mint in the garden.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: cucumbers cucumbers cucumbers Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
We have had mint in a contained planter for a number of years and so far it has not spread. It's very useful to have mint in the garden.

We have mint in a small section of soil that is surrounded entirely by concrete and patio stones. In the spring, I occasionally have to pull up a few plants from between the patio stones. Otherwise the mint stays contained. In fact, we never have enough mint!

Not only is mint useful in the garden, it's essential! Iced tea, Thai curry, chutney would be quite dull without the addition of mint! And what about Mint pesto?!

I think Mr.Brown neeeeeeeeeds to have just one of those dishes so he will see the error of his ways. skip

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 27 Aug, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I see that I neglected to add anything about what to do with cucumbers.

I like to add sliced cucumber to potato salad.

edit: stomp
We've also just rediscovered the wonders of zucchini, eggplant, red onion, red pepper and mushroom stirfried in the barbecue wok -excellent on its own or as a pasta "sauce". whoohoo!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: