discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

gasoline prices

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: gasoline prices Reply with quote

I just heard that people are lining up in Georgia to pay US$5.00/gallon for gas. (And we were complaining yesterday when gasoline prices went up here from Cdn$1.00/liter to Cdn$1.20/liter - about US$4.00/gallon.)

One of the things that really disturbed me about the file footage was the size of the cars that were lined up at the pumps. Almost all were SUVs!! Just what is it going to take to get those gas guzzling monstrosities banned? I would love it if I heard that they were charged double the price per liter to fill up their SUVs - or at the very least, whatever the difference in fuel efficiency is....

Maybe this latest hike in gas prices will get people using their bicycles as their primary vehicles now....

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Thu 01 Sep, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: gasoline prices Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
Maybe this latest hike in gas prices will get people using their bicycles as their primary vehicles now....

Yes, let's hope so. It would slow us all down, and that would be good! Here in BC, there is a bicycle trail from one of the farther outlying suburbs to the downtown area. We read a news article that there is quite a crush of bicycles during the week-day rush hour and there have been altercations between bicyclists and pedestrians! There are demands to widen it to create a two-lane bike path.

The problem in most cities is that bicycling is not safe because there is little continuity of bike-paths throughout the city. Also, many places don't have secure places to lock up a bike.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: gasoline prices Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
The problem in most cities is that bicycling is not safe because there is little continuity of bike-paths throughout the city. Also, many places don't have secure places to lock up a bike.

Bike paths?? Bicyclists should use the city streets and take a lane. Wear a helmet. Follow the traffic laws.

One can safely ride a bicycle and go 20 to 25km/hr. That's plenty fast enough. It's time that people stopped making feeble excuses. Those who cannot ride their bikes should take the bus.

People have got to stop relying on their cars!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: gasoline prices Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
One can safely ride a bicycle and go 20 to 25km/hr. That's plenty fast enough. It's time that people stopped making feeble excuses. Those who cannot ride their bikes should take the bus.

People have got to stop relying on their cars!

Yes. I think you're braver than most!

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: gasoline prices Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

Bike paths?? Bicyclists should use the city streets and take a lane. Wear a helmet. Follow the traffic laws.

(whine) I want to ride my bike at least part way to work (I could save two/four transit fares per day, aside from other benefits), but I just don't feel comfortable taking a lane on any of Toronto's north-going streets during rush hour.(/whine) The streets that I would feel comfortable riding on keep disappearing after a few blocks.

At least I do ride the train and bus rather than drive a car.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: gasoline prices Reply with quote

blm wrote:
(whine) I want to ride my bike at least part way to work (I could save two/four transit fares per day, aside from other benefits), but I just don't feel comfortable taking a lane on any of Toronto's north-going streets during rush hour.(/whine) .

Yes, I feel quite certain that rush hour traffic would be quite mean to individual cyclists taking up a whole lane. I am not quite certain that individual cyclists doing this would be effective. However, it could be effective if one could muster enough going-to-work bicyclists to take up several lanes of bicycles in a king of rolling blockade on a regular basis.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 05 Sep, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: gasoline prices Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I am not quite certain that individual cyclists doing this would be effective. However, it could be effective if one could muster enough going-to-work bicyclists to take up several lanes of bicycles in a king of rolling blockade on a regular basis.

Yes, when there are more cyclists, it can help. During one of the transit strikes, I rode my bike during rushhour along side many other bicyclists. It was no problem at all. And it appeared to be no problem for the many many business people who were riding rather than taking the subway as they would normally have done. If it was a problem for the people in their cars, it wasn't evident. (I don't think that a car driver would have dared to complain about bicyclists during the transit strike.)

I generally ride on neighbourhood streets. We have ridden all over Toronto and for the most part have been able to avoid the main thoroughfares. (We even rode all the way to the airport once - we live close to Lake Ontario - and the only busy road we had to take was the one to cross over the 401 highway. We did that on the sidewalk. Granted, it wasn't at rushhour that we did that so it might not be a viable solution for someone commuting to the airport.

This is a very handy map showing actual bike paths and suggested connections:
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cycling/map/pdf/2005_map.pdf

What's most handy about ithe map is that one can see where there are neighbourhood streets parallel to the sometimes extremely busy connection streets suggested on that map. It might mean adding a few minutes to one's ride because of having to wind back and forth....

On our frequent rides around the city, we have noticed several new blue bicycle signs. There is an explanation here:
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cycling/bikeplan/network.htm

pdf file showing "map district 3" (spans from St.Clair to Finch and from Kipling to Pharmacy):
http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cycling/bikeplan/pdf/bikewaynetwork3.pdf

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 05 Sep, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as for bicycling on the roads when there isn't a transit strike, it's all a matter of education. Both cyclists and car drivers need learn to share the road responsibly.

Once, we rode our bikes during morning rushhour in Paris - from well south of the Seine to the Gare du Nord. We rode in bicycle lanes when we saw them. But mostly, we took our cues from Paris cyclists who rode in traffic, always shoulder checking, indicating and signalling their lane changes and turns. As long as the cyclists were forthright and unhesitant, car drivers respected them. If it can work that well in Paris, it should work anywhere!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: