discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

I really neeeeed more counterspace...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: I really neeeeed more counterspace... Reply with quote

Here's something to put beside your hot-dog maker and corn popper*:

egg and muffin toaster

eggandmuffintoaster.com wrote:
Make your favorite breakfast sandwiches at home in under four minutes.
(And you thought the drive-thru was fast.)

How did I find out about this?? From Barrett at toomanychefs.com

------------------------------------
* There really is such a thing as a hot-dog maker and corn popper:

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10957099/4_in_1_Hot_Dog_Maker.jpg

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I really neeeeed more counterspace... Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
* There really is such a thing as a hot-dog maker and corn popper:

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10957099/4_in_1_Hot_Dog_Maker.jpg

You didn't say it was a combination popper and hot-dog maker! Whoo hoo!

Yesterday, we were in front of a store window chatting to someone about the mixmaster-type thing she was buying for her daughter-in-law. I was saying we didn't really have room for it, and she said she would have no problem, because she has an "appliance garage" that is practically empty. (She has no mixer like that herself.)

I've never heard of an appliance garage before, but we don't have room for one of those either, unless it involves some alternate universe. Here's a picture I found. It looks like the garage takes at least twice as much space as the appliances would. http://www.condells.com/omega_appliance_garage.htm

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had an appliance garage, I would be certain to drive my appliances into it. What happens when the garage is full? Is there an overflow appliance garage? Perhaps it has floors. People have WAY too many appliances. Besides the usual large appliances (range, fridge, dishwasher, not very good microwave) we also have a toaster, a Braun handblender and a small food processor. I don't think there is anything else. skip skip skip

Oh wait, there IS the corn popper but it seems so ineffective next to the hotdog maker/corn popper/steamer/egg boiler all in one efficiency. My 25 cent garage sale corn popper feels so inadequate.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I really neeeeed more counterspace... Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
... hot-dog maker and corn popper*:
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10957099/4_in_1_Hot_Dog_Maker.jpg[/color]

I just looked at the picture again after MrsBrown mentioned the steamer feature which I had missed. What are those tea-cosy things surrounding the metal poles on the sides? Are those the hot dog buns? If so, it looks like they suggest hot dog buns with hot dogs, corn on the cob and steamed eggs, but not with popcorn.

Or maybe they are hand grips, to facilitate holding on to the device when you are overcome with joy over such a wondrous appliance.

... pause for some googling ...

web site advertising the device wrote:

... There's a reason why we don't cook many hot dogs at home. We've either had to boil, barbecue or nuke them in the microwave. And it's never the same. But steam changes everything. It's the way hot dogs have been made in Europe for hundreds of years and the reason why they're still so popular. With the All Star Steamer, you can finally make hot dogs in your own kitchen just like your favorite world famous street vendor. ...

http://www.brandsonsale.com/home-hot-dog-steamer.html

Who doesn't cook hot dogs at home (of the set of people who eat hot dogs)? Who can't steam at home, if they can boil? I don't know even one world famous street vendors, let alone have a favourite.

Gah! boo!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 19 Sep, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
Besides the usual large appliances (range, fridge, dishwasher, not very good microwave) we also have a toaster, a Braun handblender and a small food processor. I don't think there is anything else. skip skip skip

Oh wait, there IS the corn popper but it seems so ineffective next to the hotdog maker/corn popper/steamer/egg boiler all in one efficiency. My 25 cent garage sale corn popper feels so inadequate.

Besides fridge, stove, dishwasher (what luxury), we have food processor (grates, slices -- wonderful), a hand-held blender, an elderly hand held beater, a toaster oven, and a crock pot. I had not used my crock pot for many years, but last year I bought a new one and we use it often for stews and chili, not to mention mulled wine and cider. One could use a slow oven for stews and chili, though.

My companion has an electric drill and many other gadgets, but we don't use them for cooking -- although I have been meaning to use the blowtorch for Creme Caramel or Baked Alaska.

My companion just reminded me that we also have a combination waffle and sandwich maker which our kids used to use a lot until, predictably, it has ended up in a drawer for some time now. I suppose we could also call it a panini maker -- the kind that you open up, put in the sandwich and squash down the lid to make a sandwich with a sealed edge. We keep many of these small appliances in drawers or cupboards, so I guess we could also say we have a variety of appliance garages.

We make popcorn in a pot. If we ever eat a hotdog we nuke it. Oh yes, I guess we have a microwave oven, too. I don't use it as much these days after hearing that nutrients in vegetables are destroyed in the micro-wave. Now we steam our vegetables.

Wow, we have a lot of appliances.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying very hard to curb my gadget buying. In the kitchen there are a kettle, slow cooker, toater, sandwich toaster, pie maker, yoghurt maker x 2, espresso-capuccino maker, filter coffee machine, hot air popcorn machine, deep fat frier, food processor, whisk/blender, one-hand blender, ice cream maker, smoothie maker, juicer, electric steamer, electric can opener, coffee grinder. That's just the electric devices. My garage has an alarming array of power tools. More power! More power! WHOARRR! (Time to up the medication).
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAM wrote:

My companion has an electric drill and many other gadgets, but we don't use them for cooking -- although I have been meaning to use the blowtorch for Creme Caramel or Baked Alaska.
Using a blow torch on food is something I find a little worrying. The gases used in blow torches are not pure, frequently being the byproduct of other chemical production processes and I wonder whether pointing the blow torch at food is spraying it with nasty chemicals that aren't burnt in the flame. I have no evidence to support this but I wonder if it's ever been tested.
CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Using a blow torch on food is something I find a little worrying. The gases used in blow torches are not pure, frequently being the byproduct of other chemical production processes and I wonder whether pointing the blow torch at food is spraying it with nasty chemicals that aren't burnt in the flame. I have no evidence to support this but I wonder if it's ever been tested.

Hmm, good point! Julia Childs used to do this, and I've seen other tv chefs do it. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_xmasgadgets.shtml#mini_blow-torch

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've seen many TV chefs do this and I have been tempted to do it myself. It's only my knowledge of the chemical industry that raises doubts in my own mind as to the wisdom of spraying toxic chemicals on to my food. My fears could be completely unfounded of course but I have a nagging doubt and no hard evidence to reassure me.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Yes I've seen many TV chefs do this and I have been tempted to do it myself. It's only my knowledge of the chemical industry that raises doubts in my own mind as to the wisdom of spraying toxic chemicals on to my food.

It wouldn't all be burned off?

(I've never been tempted to test it because
  1. We don't have a blow torch.
  2. I don't really like creme caramel.

)

blm wrote:
I've never heard of an appliance garage before, but we don't have room for one of those either, unless it involves some alternate universe.

My parents in law have an appliance garage in their kitchen. It is jammed with several things, including a mixmaster. I was afraid to take anything out of the appliance garage the last time i was cooking there. I wasn't positive I'd be able to drive whatever I used back in again.

Here is another thing for the appliance garage:

Pizza Fork and Cutter [...]This time-saver cuts through pizza crust, forking up bites and delivering them right to your mouth![...]

(It's all Barrett's fault http://www.toomanychefs.com/archives/001554.php)

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 20 Sep, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
It's only my knowledge of the chemical industry that raises doubts in my own mind as to the wisdom of spraying toxic chemicals on to my food.

Hmm, well, perhaps I won't rush out to blow-torch my Baked Alaska or creme caramel. Come to think of it, I've never made creme caramel. I made Baked Alaska a couple of times. My son asked for it for his birthday when he was about 10, and I shaped the icecream into a mound. My daughter asked for Baked Alaska another year, but I used a sqare block of ice-cream. My daughter (younger than the boy) noticed the absence of special shaping and still reminds me of it. I will need to make it up to her someday. But I did bake the Baked Alaska both times. To be truthful one should call it"Blow-torched Alaska," but this doesn't not sound as elegant.

I laughed out loud at the pizza cutter fork!
Pizza Fork and Cutter

edit: My companion says that blowtorches burn quite cleanly. David, what can you find out about blowtorch emissions that should concern us? I couldn't readily see anything on the net except safety and fire warnings.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: