discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

mushroom identification

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: mushroom identification Reply with quote

MrBrown dug up some mushrooms this morning from the lawn in the hopes of eradicating them ("but perhaps not!" she said mysteriously!). We took them to the local Farmers' Market to ask the mushroom guy what we had. He laughed when he looked at them and said, "what you have here are puff balls. They aren't mushrooms at all! They're very old aren't they. THey must have been sitting around in the sun getting all dried out! Look, I'll show you." He took his knife and cut open the hard brown ball and looked astonished. He said, "this isn't a puff ball. I think this might be a truffle!" He said that from the looks of it and the smell, he was pretty sure but not sure enough to tell us to go ahead and eat it (like I'd know what to do with a truffle!) Here is a picture of Tuscan truffle that looks similar to what we saw except our fungus is brown on the outside and black inside.

Cool, eh? whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! stomp

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: mushroom identification Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
He said, "this isn't a puff ball. I think this might be a truffle!" He said that from the looks of it and the smell, he was pretty sure but not sure enough to tell us to go ahead and eat it (like I'd know what to do with a truffle!) Here is a picture of Tuscan truffle that looks similar to what we saw except our fungus is brown on the outside and black inside.

Cool, eh? whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! stomp

Cool, but ... when you read all the warnings about people picking their own mushrooms ... brrrr.

I thought truffles only grew in Italy, but I found this reference http://www.virtualitalia.com/recipes/truffles.shtml to "grey truffles" found in North America. But unfortunately it says "Connoisseurs consider grey truffles found in North America unworthy of their attention- due to their lack of flavor and pungency."

Searching in google for "american truffles" gets lots of hits. Here's an article on edible North American truffles: http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/trufflebas.html#edible

Here's another interesting site - it describes various N. Amer. truffles and says when and where you would find them (what kind of tree they'd be near etc): http://www.natruffling.org/

If they are truffles in your garden, COOL! skip

Let us know if you find out more. stomp stomp

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if pharmacists here in Canada have to take the same tests for certification as French pharmacists do. In France, one can take any mushrooms to any pharmacist and have them assessed for edibility.

As for where truffles grow, all I really know is that they grow near oak trees AND they grow under ground. And as far as I know, they do grow in France as well as Italy. There is apparently major rivalry about whose truffles are superior. (Maybe it's only white truffles that grow in Italy??)

I would be a little wary of eating your "truffles", MrsBrown without having them assessed by a licenced fungus identifier. Maybe check the university??

(My brother-and-sister-in-law are avid wild mushroom hunters on Vancouver Island but I don't know if they have ever come across truffles!)

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: mushroom identification Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:

Cool,eh?

Extremely cool.

Maybe a certain dog could learn the art of truffle hunting. Although pigs are the traditional choice, good truffle hunting dogs are very much in demand in both France and Italy. Of course she'd have to learn a foreign language.

At the very least, interesting bragging rights

DataRyder

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If N.American truffles grow on top of lawns that might explain why there are no trained pigs or dogs like there are in Italy and France where the truffles grow under the ground.
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
If N.American truffles grow on top of lawns that might explain why there are no trained pigs or dogs like there are in Italy and France where the truffles grow under the ground.

These maybetruffles are underground. MrBrown had to dig quite deep to get them. I don't know how he knew they were there. I think the dog may have dug one or two up and he found them that way? I don't know but he said that he had to dig fairly deep to get them out of hte ground.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time next year you'll be a millionarie. All you need to do is to hire out MrBrown and his nose to hunt for truffles or to train dogs.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Species Galore Reply with quote

Looking at the link to truffle species reminds me of a recent look at http://www.discoverlife.org/nh/tx/Insecta/Hymenoptera/Formicidae/
which attempts to list and describe ant species - there are basically too many to count!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: