discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

What day is it today?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: What day is it today? Reply with quote

I learned that today, October 5, is World Teachers' Day -- promoted by UNESCO. UNESCO World Teacher's Day

Do teachers know this?

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard it mentioned in school today or on the radio/TV news bulletins.
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some teachers knew of this day. Sadly, in the province in which I live, the premier has seen fit to legislate teachers to accept a "contract" which is educationally unsound and he did it on World Teachers' Day. How ironic!! Oh oh

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quel drag, MrsBrown. Clearly the premier wasn't there on the school day that they taught the class good timing.

Incidentally, I notice that the UNESCO page mentions World Teacher's Day for 1997 through 2004 but not for 2005. Perhaps this is why there was no mention of it at David's school. Maybe MrsBrown's premier consulted with UNESCO and suggested that the day shouldn't be celebrated this year. la la la

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
Some teachers knew of this day. Sadly, in the province in which I live, the premier has seen fit to legislate teachers to accept a "contract" which is educationally unsound and he did it on World Teachers' Day. How ironic!! Oh oh

I see that the BC government has legislated a continuation of the teachers' contract. This legislation (according to the news) hasn't yet been proclaimed, so until it is, it's not in force. The teachers were in a legal strike position, but had been forbearing and have been teaching the children. After the government's declaration of "War," the teachers voted to strike on mass in response. Starting this morning. Preemptive counter-attack: the government gets a midnight order from the Labour Relations Board to order the teachers back to work. Hmm, I thought the legislation hadn't been proclaimed yet -- will there be (could there be?) an appeal of the LRB order? (Don't know the law on this!)

In any case, it's a nasty war. Teachers are now at risk of losing the moral high ground, as the Minister of Education is accusing them of breaking the law and setting a bad example. The school day hasn't started yet today.... but the teachers have been told by their union not to be there.

The government is clearly intent on war, and have been out-manoevering the teachers. Is there sufficient solidarity among the teachers for this? Can the teachers start using better war strategy? Moral high ground is important in this war:

Will other labour groups in the province back up the teachers and protest the government's removal of all bargaining rights? Propose a general strike over the issue of union rights to bargain collectively?

What's the next move? Would the government fire all the teachers who stay out? From the reputation of this government, I expect they would. How to avoid being fired? Break the strike or resign. Breaking the strike risks offending the union and breaking solidarity. The teachers may need to voluntarily resign on masse to hold their moral ground, because there is limited support for teachers among the public and among working parents who are now suddenly extremely inconvenienced.

This is, of course, not the "gospel" as I only know what I've been reading in the news.

The teachers have used poor war strategy and may lose this round through underestimating their opponent.

I will be watching this... MrsBrown, my sincere condolences in being caught up in this war.

But don't be sucked into the idea that the children are suffering -- they are not. They can go without school for quite some time without destroying their arithmetic potential, let alone their future careers. As a parent, my kids survived quite lengthy teachers' strikes quite well, and I spend some quality time with my kids. It was inconvenient at worst. But then I wasn't working in an office that required my presence.... and I don't recall suffering wage loss.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: