discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Comfortable Eyeglasses

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Comfortable Eyeglasses Reply with quote

I've been wearing eyeglasses since 1964. While they have always been uncomfortable and unwilling to stay in place, they have got lighter and a bit more comfortable over the years as designs change.
Now, however I've discovered what must be the ultimate in eyeglass comfort. These are rimless polycarbon lenses held in place by a new titainium frame like this http://www.eyewearpalace.com/product_detail.asp?ProdID=1336
These frames do not work by pressing into the temples and giving you a headache; they curl around your head instead. While they look extremely fragile, they are not! I'm sure you can stand on them without damage. Yes, they are a bit pricey, but, if you have to keep them on your nose all the time, they are well worth it. They come with very light sunglass magnetic clip-ons that attach only to the nose piece.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been wearing eyeglasses for eons. Those rimless polycarbon lenses do look very nice. I wonder if I'll be allowed to have them when I finally get around to getting my next prescription filled.

The last time I chose a frame that was rimless, the optician immediately nixed it because my prescription was too strong. He said that the rimless frame wouldn't work, even with the lighter weight plastic.

(Please reassure me that you haven't tried standing on your new glasses to test their strength! stomp )

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Any Presciption Reply with quote

Lizard, last time I got glasses I was told that, as they were bifocals, they must be of certain size - this problem has now disappeard with polycarbon lenses! You must re-check!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wearing glasses since my late-teens and I've been lucky to never have any discomfort with any of my frames. I have also been told that I can't have rimless frames because of my prescription. I'm going to look out for those new ones when I have my next eye examination in a couple of weeks. I'm near sighted but the way I've started to look underneath my lenses to focus on small close-up objects makes me think that I'm going to need bifocal or varifocal lenses. *sigh* It's an age thing isn't it? This week I've got a neck that starts hurting if I don't sit up straight and a calf muscle that feels like cramp and is making me limp. Hey, look at me, I'm a grumpy old man.
Guy
registered

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worn glasses since 1957, and they have been like the botoms of Coke bottles. I got into contact lenses in the 70's which improved my vision but they were a great bother.
However then a wonderful thing happened - I was diagnosed with cataracts. For a "high myopic" like me this was wonderful news. I now have had surgery, with the inner lense replaced and I now have 20/20 vision without glasses. I do need drug store glasses to read. But it is wonderful to be without those pesky specs anymore.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy wrote:
I was diagnosed with cataracts. [...] I now have had surgery, with the inner lense replaced and I now have 20/20 vision without glasses.

It somehow seems wrong to hope to be diagnosed with cataracts. But wow, I'd LOVE to have 20/20 vision and get to use drugstore reading glasses! stomp

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
Guy wrote:
I was diagnosed with cataracts. [...] I now have had surgery, with the inner lense replaced and I now have 20/20 vision without glasses.

It somehow seems wrong to hope to be diagnosed with cataracts. But wow, I'd LOVE to have 20/20 vision and get to use drugstore reading glasses! stomp

Can't you have laser surgery for other things besides cataracts? I thought most of the laser surgery was for short-sightedness.

Question

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:
Can't you have laser surgery for other things besides cataracts? I thought most of the laser surgery was for short-sightedness.

Yes, but voluntary laser surgery is not covered by the provincial Health plan. The last time I heard, laser eye surgery was quite costly. I googled to find out just how much "quite" is and cannot readily see any set prices. There was one article written in 2000 that said anywhere from $1000 to $3000 (it didn't say whether that was per eye) but the other websites I saw said very little about actual price. The following quotes give me the distinct impression that if I have to ask, I can't afford it:

yonge eglinton laser eye cosmetics center wrote:
LASER EYE SURGERY
And when it comes to cost, you can rest assured that our Toronto laser eye surgery practice will offer you the best value for your money.

LASIK MD vision wrote:
Because our doctors strongly believe that everyone should be able to afford this surgery, LASIK MD offers you the procedure at an affordable price without ever compromising on quality.
[...]
We also offer financing options with low monthly payments and an easy, confidential credit application process, where you can be approved for credit in as early as 24 hours! Visit our Financing Options section for more information.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in two minds about corrective laser eye surgery. On the one hand it's a highly sucessful procedure to correct sight defects but on the other I'm a total wimp and would run a mile if somone tried to put anything near my eyes.
Guy
registered

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not speaking of Laser surgery. What I had was scalpel style surgery whereby the lenses in the middle of the lense is removed and a new synthetic lense inserted. (in my case a foldable lense as opposed to a ridged lense).

In my province ( and in most places in Canada I think) the provincial health program pays for the basic surgery. I had to pay extra for the folding lense and some treatment to my corneas which eliminated astigmatism.

I share your hesitation about laser treatment of the corneas. I am told that over the years night vision is impaired. There is also "lasik" surgery by which the cornea is lifted up and then some laser treatment applied. I am told it is more reliable than simple laser surgery.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy wrote:
scalpel style surgery whereby the lenses in the middle of the lense is removed
LA-LA-LA-LA, I'm not listening.
Guy
registered

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAvid:

Actually the whole experience was very pleasant (mostly) from the administration of the happy drugs in the beginning to the hi end chocolate cookies in the recovery room. ANd I could give you all the details in between , but....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: