discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Happy Thanksgiving!!! Reply with quote

We are having friends over to share our Thanksgiving turkey. I have made a basket o' plenty (not having a horn at hand) full of garden and market produce. It's quite lovely; it has a festival squash, a cucumber, a zucchini, a tomato, a pear, an apple, 3 carrots and 2 sprigs of parsley. My 11 year old son has made apple crisp. I'm planning on making Honey pumpkin pie. Doesn't it look beautiful? The recipe is here. The turkey with THE dressing recipewill go in at about 1:30 and we will have garlic mashed potatoes/yams along with Carrots baked with thyme, cumin and chardonnay; brussels sprouts with dijon mustard; plain green peas; gravy (of course). I think that should be enough, don't you? skip skip skip skip skip MrBrown just reminded me that we will also have an appetizer of hummus prepared with his own hands and vegetables and maybe corn chips.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yum yum yum!! That sounds delicious, MrsBrown.

We were very radical with our Thanksgiving dinner and DIDN'T serve turkey. Instead, we started with smoked quails (marinated in teriaki sauce) served on a bed of grilled zucchini, red pepper, eggplant, red onion and mushrooms with French-style rustic bread.

(We WERE going to have appetizers of cranberry bean and garlic dip with pita chips but boo! somebody boo! - whose name begins with ll Oh oh - burned them and there were no more pitas to make new chips. We decided that pita chips and bean dip were probably going to be too much of a good thing - if pita chips are even any good... stomp )

Then (in case that wasn't enough already!) we continued with grilled salmon steaks with basil pesto (made with pecans, peccorino and zero cream) and/or green peppercorn mayonnaise and steamed green beans. Pesto on bread is amazing!

Dessert was a spectacular apple tart followed by fresh figs with goat cheese.

MrsBrown wrote:
[...]apple crisp. [...] Honey pumpkin pie. [...] turkey with THE dressing [...] garlic mashed potatoes/yams[...] Carrots baked with thyme, cumin and chardonnay; brussels sprouts with dijon mustard[...]appetizer of hummus [...]vegetables and maybe corn chips

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if we have made an error in not having the traditional dinner. Do you think there's time to get a turkey for tonight? whoo hoo!

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dinner was brilliant. My friend offered to help in the kitchen, as guests often do, so I asked if she was good at making gravy. She said that she makes good gravy. She was wrong, she makes FANTASTIC gravy!! I didn't notice what she was doing as I was fussing with taking the dressing out of the turkey but it was amazing!! She was a little apprehensive about her children (8 and 11) eating any vegetables. She said, "They won't eat any vegetables, please don't be offended." I reassured her that I would not be offended but I was pretty sure they would eat the plain small green peas. She looked doubtful and shook her head. My own child ate all vegetables (except the brussels sprouts) with gusto. Her two children looked at the orange mashed potatoes/yams with trepidation but gamely gave them a try (only to have more!) and they ate the carrots and the peas. Their mother was amazed and asked me how I did it. I explained that it wasn't me that did it, it was their friend, my son, who said, "oh, I LOVE these carrots! Peas!! I love peas! Thanks for making peas, Mom!" What advertising! It was only after eating 3 or 4 carrots that a visitor child noticed there were "green bits" and said, "What is this in the carrots? Do I like it?" I'm sorry to say that I laughed out loud.

And the pie! The pie was exactly as pictured and it had a lovely flavour. Our friends are British and had never had pumpkin pie before. She thought it was lovely, he didn't try it. The children both tried it because again, my boy was panting to have pumpkin pie and had two largish pieces. The visitor children hated it but they loved the whipped cream and the apple crisp.

The wonderful thing about having a traditional turkey dinner is that today, we'll have turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, chip sandwiches for lunch and then leftovers for dinner. I'll fry the yampotatoes up with some onions and more garlic. Mmmmm

Happy Thanksgiving.

Guy
registered

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. B

Sounds like a wonderful meal. I regret very much that my clan and I could not be there. We did have a traditional meal with a large crowd in Edmonton, it was a classic prarie fall day with brilliant sushine and golden leaves underfoot.

Guy

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't a fun harvest time celebration. All we do is give surplus to the poor and needy, read extracts from the bible and look solemn. Well, some people do.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
We don't a fun harvest time celebration. All we do is give surplus to the poor and needy, read extracts from the bible and look solemn. Well, some people do.

David, it's high time that you added having a feast to celebrate giving surplus to the poor and needy, reading extracts from the bible and looking solemn. Of course, it's difficult to look solemn when one is stuffing one's face with pumpkin pie.

MrsBrown wrote:
And the pie! The pie was exactly as pictured and it had a lovely flavour.

We were so entranced by the idea of pumpkin pie that yesterday, we went to the corner variety store (the only store that was open) and bought their last tin of pumpkin and last container of whipping cream. Don't ask how much we paid.... And came home and made pumpkin pie, based on a recipe in The Joy of Cooking.

It was the perfect dessert to serve after chili con carne, steamed broccoli and cornbread.

Next time, we'll have to plan ahead so we can buy cream cheese at a reasonable price. Then we can try the Honey pumpkin pie

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

Hmm, that's really too bad. And interesting, because I think Canadian thanksgiving is based on Harvest festival in the Anglican church calendar. I've never heard the bits about looking solemn -- but a lot of wheat stalks, pumpkins and carrots all over the churches.

I think UK has some cool festivals that we don't have in Canada -- but what?

The next thing in Canada is Hallowe'en which is becoming a more commercial thing. My daughter is planning an elaborate costume made up of things in our rather large trunk of costumes, wigs and props used on various occasions.

Last edited by CAM on Sat 30 Dec, 2006 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone very kindly brought his camera on Thanksgiving and took a photo of our quail and bread before we devoured them:

http://etherwork.net/blog/?p=153#quail
http://etherwork.net/blog/?p=154#couronne <-- bread

Guy
registered

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of austere piety - has anyone watched Babbett's Feast lately?

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had our all our Pagan celebrations hijacked by the Christian Church but the old stuff is still there below the surface for example Yuletide (decorated trees, mistletoe, mid-winter feast). Halloween never used to be isn't much of a big deal seeing as it's just another normal work day but with al the American TV shown over the decades we're starting doing the Trick-or-Treat thing (or demanding money with menaces as it used to be called) in recent years. Our next celebration after that is Bonfire Night (5 Nov) which officially celebrates the failure of a Catholic plot to blow up parliament but it's just an excuse to build giant community fires and detonate huge amounts of gunpowder in the sky. I am rather too keen on this than is healthy.
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy wrote:

Not lately, but now that you mention it, I'd like to see it again. Strangely, the scenes of the awful black-bread-and-beer meals have stayed in my memory most strongly.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:
Guy wrote:

Not lately, but now that you mention it, I'd like to see it again. Strangely, the scenes of the awful black-bread-and-beer meals have stayed in my memory most strongly.

The scene that stands out in my mind for some reason is Babette ironing the big tablecloth.

Guy
registered

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been years since I saw it, but I recall the contrasts, the cold (both climate and relationships), the food coming ashore, the cooking and then the transformation over the feasting.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: