discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Music and Lyrics

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Music and Lyrics Reply with quote

When I first listened to radio in the 60's, most of what was being said in the song seemed largely irrelevant; it was the music that carried the message. This all changed (to me) in the 70's. Bob Dylan and John Lennon and many others were obviously saying something beyond the tune. What they were saying seemed to as important as the tune they were using to say it. It therefore surprises me that it is still possible to find listeners that have no idea of what the words to a song say. Am I alone in this?

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes find myself listening to lyrics of these old songs, realizing that either I didn't listen to them or didn't understand them at the time.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a child, the songs on the radio I enjoyed most were those with a strong beat and a chorus I could sing along with. I think my appreciation of the words increased as my appreciation for literature increased. By my teens I had a strong dislike of meaningless three minute pop songs, preferring to listen to albums where the artist had obviously put some effort and thought into the words. However, as time passed I developed a bit of a dichotomy. One the one hand I enjoy crafted, intelligent, clever lyrics but on the other hand a can happily walk down the street whistling the tune of the latest piece of disposable trash I've heard on the radio. One thing that really irks me though is when I hear an "unfinished song" on the radio. By that I mean one where the writer couldn't be bothered to write the final verse and used "la la la la la" for the whole verse to fill the gap. As if we wouldn't notice! The nerve of some people. It's just shoddy work. Almost as bad are songs where they are too lazy to write more than two verses and so just repeat them. Alright Now by Free used to be one of my favourite songs until I spotted that, now I can't stand to hear it. Then I realised that the chorus was also a brainless, repetitive chant too and wonder why I ever liked it. That said, I can still appreciate brainless repetitive chants for the simple, unchallenging, honest fun that they can be and when I get home I'll listen to crafted, structured, intelligent musicians. Then I'll get bored and dance around the room to a banal three minute pop song and wonder whether I have a multiple personality disorder.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Multiple personalities Reply with quote

What a bore life would be without "multiple personality disorder" of the kind you describe, David. It would mean that after reading a novel by Ian MacEwan, you couldn't play with your latest R/C Air Hog or, you couldn't listen to Glenn Gould and then enjoy a game of Pacman.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I sometimes find myself listening to lyrics of these old songs, realizing that either I didn't listen to them or didn't understand them at the time.

This still happens to me. I find myself getting distracted by a bassline or a rhythm and I forget to listen to the lyrics. (Or whoever is singing doesn't even bother to enunciate the words)

David wrote:
One thing that really irks me though is when I hear an "unfinished song" on the radio. By that I mean one where the writer couldn't be bothered to write the final verse and used "la la la la la" for the whole verse to fill the gap.

I can't stand fade outs like that!! Shoddy work indeed.

And speaking of unfinished songs, I really get annoyed when partial songs are used as background music for a movie. Especially when the editors just cut the song off (or do a fadeout) in mid-phrase. WHAT could be more annoying?

The other thing that drives me mad is the use of complete songs with relatively complex lyrics as background for a movie - with important dialogue going on overtop of the music. I'm relatively good at multi-tasking - or at least duo-tasking - but in those situations, I am stymied. To which am I supposed to pay attention?!

MEF wrote:
It would mean that after reading a novel by Ian MacEwan, you couldn't play with your latest R/C Air Hog or, you couldn't listen to Glenn Gould and then enjoy a game of Pacman.

You can manage to do anything after reading a novel by Ian MacEwan? la la la stomp (I confess I've only read one of his novels "Saturday" and have pretty much vowed that it is the last of his novels I'll ever read. Talk about not understanding the lyrics!)

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
And speaking of unfinished songs, I really get annoyed when partial songs are used as background music for a movie. Especially when the editors just cut the song off (or do a fadeout) in mid-phrase. WHAT could be more annoying?

Reminds me of Certain Channel Surfers who leave things on one channel just long enough to get one's attention, but cut music off just before before the cadence or change the channel in the middle of someone's sentence.

I guess I've changed the ...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: