discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

movie: The Bourne Ultimatum

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: movie: The Bourne Ultimatum Reply with quote

I was really looking forward to seeing "The Bourne Ultimatum"; I loved the first two Bourne movies (Matt Damon)

How on earth did this movie get 93% at Rotten Tomatoes? Count me in the 7%. Yup, I hated just about every moment
Spoiler (highlight to read):
that I watched. I confess that only managed to watch the first half. And I stuck with it that long because I was convinced it was going to get better.

The music drove me crazy. I was seriously considering putting the English subtitles on and turning the sound off.

I felt like I was in a video arcade - constant chases - constant needless flashbacks - constant exposition - some of those things had just happened onscreen!!! - fragmented story (was there a story?) The script was so poorly written that normally good actors sounded like they were in a high school play - clearly, I could go on and on and on raving about this. Matt Damon, David Strathairn, Albert Finney, Joan Allen et al must be so embarrassed as they are waltzing to the bank with their cheques from this blockbuster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bourne_Ultimatum_(film)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bourne_ultimatum/

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally avoid second sequels. Movies such as Jaws 3-D, Home Alone 3, and Smokey and The Bandit 3 spring to mind.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I generally avoid second sequels. Movies such as Jaws 3-D, Home Alone 3, and Smokey and The Bandit 3 spring to mind.

Hmmmm, I don't think I would be even tempted to see the sequel to those particular movies. (Although I loved "Jaws" and "Home Alone". However, I wasn't even tempted nor did I see "Smokey and the Bandit".)

BUT we just saw an excellent second sequel: "Rush Hour 3" - it is what it is - funny, predictable, with lots leaping around - but thoroughly satisfying.

I also liked "Die Hard 3" and really thought that "The Bourne Ultimatum" would fall into the same sort of 'completely satisfying' category of movie. I wasn't expecting it to be earth shattering or particularly meaningful - just a good honest story.

Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

Get Serious. Get Lawless.

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: ..... and 3:10 to Yuma Reply with quote

Hmm, I liked the Bourne Ultimatum. Last night we watched the Bourne Supremacy -- I confess it is bit more interesting than either the first or third ones. But the film we really appreciated this weekend was 3:10 to Yuma
-- a classic western with lots of chasing around. It's also a very interesting, serpentine morality play.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: I thoght it was OK Reply with quote

With my limited knowledge of Ludlum, (ACTION + VIOLENCE) I thought that the BC fitted right in.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I thoght it was OK Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
With my limited knowledge of Ludlum, (ACTION + VIOLENCE) I thought that the BC fitted right in.

It wasn't that aspect of it that was an issue for me. It was the
fragmented story, repeated flashbacks, repetitive music, wooden acting (and/or dull scriptwriting and/or poor direction).

BC?

British Columbia? Nope
Before Christ? Nope
Bacon Cheeseburger? Nope (although, I wouldn't mind one of those for lunch...)
Broadcast Corporation? Nope

Okay, I give up... what is the BC that fitted right in?

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: OOOPS! Reply with quote

That should be (B)ourne (U)ltimatum!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: