discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Peter Temple - a must for mystery readers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Peter Temple - a must for mystery readers Reply with quote

I have almost finished reading "The Broken Shore" by Peter Temple and I can report that it will, without a doubt, enter the "Mystery Hall of Fame". His writing is in the same class as Henning Mankell. A must read.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
The novel is set in Australia

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Peter Temple - a must for mystery readers Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
[Peter Temple's] writing is in the same class as Henning Mankell.

Alas, I have not read any Henning Mankell, not being at all adept at reading Swedish. What English or American mystery writers might be comparable to Temple, MEF?

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jan, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Peter Temple - a must for mystery readers Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
MEF wrote:
[Peter Temple's] writing is in the same class as Henning Mankell.

Alas, I have not read any Henning Mankell, not being at all adept at reading Swedish. What English or American mystery writers might be comparable to Temple, MEF?

I have read Henning Mankell in excellent English translations.

I very much like his Kurt Wallander series. I just finished his latest non-mystery called "Depth" - I couldn't put it down, but it was a bit too dark for me.

I haven't read Peter Temple, yet. But I'm trying to think of an English or American writer comparable to Mankell ... hmmm ... Peter Robinson comes to mind, in some ways.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jan, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reading Swedish? Reply with quote

My Swedish reading ability stops at the grade 3 level (when I emigrated); I read all non-English language writers in translation. I cannot, at the moment, think of either an English or American mystery writer who is up to Temple's standard. The Israeli writer Batya Gur comes very close as does the Canadian Peter Robinson.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: