discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

film: I am David

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: film: I am David Reply with quote

Speaking of peaches in the other thread reminded me of a film we saw the other evening, I am David. It was really fine. The little boy who played the main part was wonderful. They chose an unknown -- British. There are really some very fine children actors these days.

Last edited by CAM on Sun 19 Jun, 2005 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: film: I am David Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
a film we saw the other evening, I am David. It was really fine.

I remember loving the book that this movie is based on and I was afraid to see it. (I always assume that movie makers will ruin books that I like.)

I see that there are many reviewers who have a completely different view of the movie than you do, CAM:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_am_david/

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jun, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: film: I am David Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

I remember loving the book that this movie is based on

Me too, it's one of my favourites. bravo! bravo! bravo! I recommend it for both adults and children.

I think I'd still like to see the movie, even though, from the reviews, it sounds like it's not as good as the book. (The only movie I can think of that is as good as the book is "To Kill a Mockingbird".)

la la la

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: film: I am David Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
I think I'd still like to see the movie, even though, from the reviews, it sounds like it's not as good as the book.

My daughter has read the book, but I have not. We both liked it. I think it ruins enjoyment of movies to compare them with the books they are based on. I'm no critic -- I watch for enjoyment and am rarely disappointed too much.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: film: I am David Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I think it ruins enjoyment of movies to compare them with the books they are based on. I'm no critic -- I watch for enjoyment and am rarely disappointed too much.

I wish I could watch a movie without comparing it to its original book. Sometimes the movie wanders so far from the book that it's easy to do, but when the movie stays somewhat close to the book, I find it very difficult not to compare.

Sometimes, when the book is very long, and especially when the book contains a lot of mental dialogue, I wonder how anyone who has not read the book can possibly understand what's going on. This distracts me from the movie itself. whoohoo! whoohoo!

In some ways, it would be better to see the movie first, but then that might ruin the enjoyment of the book. la la la What to do, what to do Question

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: film: I am David Reply with quote

I try not to compare. But it's so difficult, especially if, as blm pointed out, the movie tries to stay roughly close to the book.

blm wrote:

In some ways, it would be better to see the movie first, but then that might ruin the enjoyment of the book. la la la What to do, what to do Question

I have rarely had a problem going from movie to book. The only drawback is that I don't get to picture my own version of characters but see and hear the various actors. It never bothers me if a book is WAY different from the movie when I see the movie first.

This is what happened with The English Patient. I quite liked the movie and a few years later, read Ondaatje's book, which I also quite liked. And the focus was COMPLETELY different in the book! (It made me wonder if the movie makers had read the same book....) If I had gone in the other direction, I feel sure that I would have hated the movie.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jun, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: film: I am David Reply with quote

Today, upon CAM's recommendation, we watched I Am David. We all agree with CAM that it was a very fine movie. I found it a little slow in places but it worked with the movie. The boy was terrific and Joan Plowright is always excellent. None of us have read the book but it is on our list of possible read alouds.

llizard wrote:
I have rarely had a problem going from movie to book. The only drawback is that I don't get to picture my own version of characters but see and hear the various actors. It never bothers me if a book is WAY different from the movie when I see the movie first.
I re read The Lord of the Rings after I had seen the movies and I liked having the image of the characters from the movie. I remember seeing Red Sky at Morning after I had read the book about a zillion times and the characters were all wrong, wrong, wrong. I wonder if I would have felt differently if I had seen the movie first.

I went from reading the book Chocolat (excellent!!!) to seeing the movie (also excellent!) and I was satisfied in all regards
Spoiler (highlight to read):
except for changing the end, the end is MUCH better in the book.
Johnny Depp was exactly right as was Juliette Binoche but then again, how can those two actors be wrong for anything?

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jun, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: film: I am David Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
Today, upon CAM's recommendation, we watched I Am David. We all agree with CAM that it was a very fine movie.

If the Brown boy enjoyed I am David he might also enjoy Rabbit Proof Fence.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jun, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: film: I am David Reply with quote

On the advice of CAM and the badgering of Mr. llizard, we rented I am David. I liked it much more than I expected. Of course, it deviated somewhat from the book - or at least I think it did... it has been eons since I read the book.

I also watched some of the deleted scenes and was happy to see that they were GOING to include one of my favourite parts from the book. Before seeing the movie, I wondered how on earth they would be able to depict it. And I guess they decided that it didn't quite work because it was not included in the final cut.

It was the point when the boy first saw and ate an orange (or was it a peach??) and discovered how wonderful it was.

MrsBrown wrote:

I went from reading the book Chocolat (excellent!!!) to seeing the movie (also excellent!) and I was satisfied in all regards
except for changing the end, the end is MUCH better in the book.

Perhaps I should read Chocolat. I thought the movie was just okay. Although I loved Judy Dench's character. But then, how can she ever go wrong?

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: film: I am David Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
On the advice of CAM and the badgering of Mr. llizard, we rented I am David.

Good one, Mr. llizard!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: