discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Google maps

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jul, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Google maps Reply with quote

Google has a new beta map site http://maps.google.com/maps . The satellite images don't get quite as close as the Yahoo ones, but otherwise, it's pretty amazing. stomp

Spoiler-ized for those who like to discover the cool stuff on new websites without too many instructions.

Spoiler (highlight to read):

To reposition the map, you just click on the map and drag it. It can move as fast as I can drag the mouse.

Once you have the map positioned at a particular location, you can click on the "Local Search" button and look for things like hospitals, pizza etc.

And you can get directions from one place to another. Once it's showing the directions, you can click on one of the points in the list of directions and see the map detail for that point.

When you're on a map, you can click on "satellite" to see the satellite image.

You can position the initial map to anywhere in the world, but the street maps don't seem to cover everywhere. There are satellite images for the whole globe too, but not the detail there is for North America and the British Isles. Since it's a beta, they probably haven't got everything going yet.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the coolest thing!! bravo! We looked at the satellite picture of our street and son of a gun, there was our house! I tried getting instructions from my house in BC to a sibling's house in Ontario. The directions sent me through the US. I guess google hasn't quite heard of the Trans Canada Highway.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very very cool! whoohoo!

MrsBrown wrote:
I tried getting instructions from my house in BC to a sibling's house in Ontario. The directions sent me through the US. I guess google hasn't quite heard of the Trans Canada Highway.

I tried getting intructions from Toronto to Saskatoon (somebody might want to go to Saskatoon.... la la la ) The instructions go under the Great Lakes and then up onto the TransCanada hwy at Winnipeg. Then to the Yellowhead route. It is similar for Toronto to Edmonton.

For Toronto to Calgary, the directions follow the TransCanada from Winnipeg.

Perhaps Google wants Canadian travellers to have to queue up at the US border to make sure that those happy customs inspectors have plenty to do. skip

Interestingly, Google can't find directions from Toronto to Whitehorse, Yellowknife, or Alaska. And it can't find Yukon Territory at all.

I wondered if there would be different instructions if one went to
http://maps.google.ca/maps

All that happens is that the map moves to show more of Canada.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Beta Reply with quote

I think this Google project is incredible. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we are looking at a beta. The route finding may have problems, but the seamless satelite photography is amazing; you can toggle back and forth between it and the mapping at all scales.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beta Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
I think this Google project is incredible. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we are looking at a beta. The route finding may have problems, but the seamless satelite photography is amazing; you can toggle back and forth between it and the mapping at all scales.

Absolutely, it's amazing. For short trips, the route finding is right on. I checked from my work place to my house, the directions are a little convoluted and not what I'd take but for someone who doesn't know the city, they were bang on.

MrBrown and I spent about an hour perusing this last night looking at our area, identifying the neighbours' pools and our house. The BrownBoy spent some time this morning playing with it as well, looking for his school, the local playground, his friends' houses....
blm wrote:
The satellite images don't get quite as close as the Yahoo ones

How do you get to see the Yahoo satellite pictures? I tried to google it (if you can use "google" as a verb) but couldn't find anything.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Beta Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:

How do you get to see the Yahoo satellite pictures? I tried to google it (if you can use "google" as a verb) but couldn't find anything.

I guess I was thinking of the City of Toronto aerial photographs, but I thought I remembered seeing something for all of North America once. I don't know where I got the idea that yahoo had them. Sorry to send you on a wild goose chase. boo!

I think "google" has pretty much become a verb. stomp There's an internal "words" forum where I work where some hardline folks bemoan the "verbing" of "google", but I reckon it will become a generic word like kleenex.

The Toronto site has a very high level of detail. Here's the link: http://app.toronto.ca/lit/imapit/iMapIt.jsp?app=TOMaps&viewdefault=true
For example, try entering the intersection "Bathurst" and "Front St W", then select the Aerial View button at the bottom left, then click on "Map It". (The Aerial View button seem to only show up when you get fairly close to the street level.) You should be able to zoom in at least once more before it gets too blurry.

whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! Three click to the right and a few "zoom-ins" and I can see my street on the map. I can't quite see my house on at the satelite image but I can see the street. Wow!
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Google earth Reply with quote

Maybe even cooler than google maps is google earth. It's a free downloadable program from http://earth.google.com.

Like google maps, the U.S. has the most detail, like 3-d models of buildings in about 20 cities. The Grand Canyon is amazing.

There's something stunning about the way it zooms in on a place as if from outer space. Or flies through the air over the streets, if you type in an address in the same city.

la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also

http://moon.google.com/

zoom in all the way to see that

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Wallace and Grommit were correct. The moon really is made of cheese!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked for my address. Unfortunately, people using the google map will end up at the wrong end of our block. Is there a way to give them feedback since it's a beta?

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
Is there a way to give them feedback since it's a beta?

There is. Take a look at #5 and #9 on the google map FAQ page:
http://www.google.ca/help/faq_maps.html#directions2

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jul, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
CAM wrote:
Is there a way to give them feedback since it's a beta?

There is. Take a look at #5 and #9 on the google map FAQ page:
http://www.google.ca/help/faq_maps.html#directions2

A week or so ago, I sent a feedback to google maps about the way their directions between two places in Canada involve two border crossings, suggesting that maybe they should only suggest border crossings when the two points are actually in different countries. I got an automatic reply saying
Quote:
"Thank you for your suggestion. We're currently focusing our energy on improving Google Maps (beta), so we're not able to send personal responses. However, we do read all the feedback we receive and use it to improve Google Maps. We appreciate your taking the time to write."

But maybe the "report" type of feedback that you get with the link on FAQ#5 is handled with more urgency than the "suggestion" type which I did.

If you do report the error, let us know what happens. stomp

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:
If you do report the error, let us know what happens. stomp

I found the place to give feedback, and I could an instant response similar to the one you reported.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: