discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

sewing pattern on your web site

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chocolatechic
registered

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: sewing pattern on your web site Reply with quote

Hello, I am making the butcher apron, and I have a question about the pattern.

For the neck straps, It says to leave the raw edges to the outside....is this correct? I am making this for a gift. Nothing is said about correcting the raw edges...

help

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: sewing pattern on your web site Reply with quote

chocolatechic wrote:
For the neck straps, It says to leave the raw edges to the outside....is this correct? I am making this for a gift. Nothing is said about correcting the raw edges...

Yes, that is correct. The edges will be finished in step 5 when you hem the edges of the rest of the apron.

apron pattern:
http://etherwork.net/sew/apron.html

Should I put a little note in step 3 saying that the edges will be dealt with in step 5?

chocolatechic
registered

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: sewing pattern on your web site Reply with quote

Quote:
Should I put a little note in step 3 saying that the edges will be dealt with in step 5?

That would be extrememly helpful. I was in a huge panic!!! lolol

I do have another question though....because the strap is so thin, this is for clairification.....will I need to fold it over 1/4 inch and then another 1/4 inch? That will not leave much material.

chocolatechic
registered

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or...I was just thinking, maybe I could fold it over and finish the straps before I sew them to the top of the apron???

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chocolatechic wrote:
or...I was just thinking, maybe I could fold it over and finish the straps before I sew them to the top of the apron???

Chocolatechic, you need to look carefully at step 2 -
Then just follow the rest of the directions.

Last edited by CAM on Thu 21 Jul, 2005 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
chocolatechic
registered

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions say...

**Sew the strap together at one end. Fold in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. (pink dotted lines are fold lines; violet dotted lines are stitches) Topstitch along the fold line.**

That is what I did. I first sewed them with the right sides together, but I couldn't get it turned right side out.....

So which is it???

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chocolatechic wrote:
The instructions say...

**Sew the strap together at one end. Fold in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. (pink dotted lines are fold lines; violet dotted lines are stitches) Topstitch along the fold line.**

That is what I did. I first sewed them with the right sides together, but I couldn't get it turned right side out.....

So which is it???

Have faith in my convoluted instructions. They are correct. skip

I'll try to clarify them though. la la la

Step 2.
First, sew the center seam of the straps with the right sides together. You will now have one long piece.

Next, fold the strap lengthwise WRONG SIDES together. You will now have a narrowish double-sided piece with the right sides of the fabric showing. One edge will be a fold and the other edge will be two raw edges. Topstitch the fold to make sure it stays as a fold.

Now go to step 3.
With right sides together and the raw edges of the strap lining up with the raw edges of the sides of the apron, sew the ends of the strap to the top of the apron.

Fold over the top edge of the apron two times and stitch to hem it. Make sure that the strap is facing upwards away from the apron.

Complete step 4 and go to step 5:
Fold over the raw edge of the apron two times (start at a bottom corner of the apron) and hem the apron all the way around the apron. This should take care of all raw edges.

http://etherwork.net/sew/apron.html

I hope that works for you, chocolatechic!!

chocolatechic
registered

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for that clairification. That makes a bit more sense.....looks like I am ripping out stitches....again... stomp

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chocolatechic wrote:
looks like I am ripping out stitches....again... stomp

Rats! Too bad! I hate having to rip out stitches!

I hope it works out correctly in the end! (Just remember to keep the tie ends free when you are doing the final hemming.)

chocolatechic
registered

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will, and thanks so much for your help on this. I really appreciate it. I got up early today to sew on it, but was stung by a bee, so I haven't worked on it yet....sigh....

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jul, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chocolatechic wrote:
thanks so much for your help on this.

Thank you for pointing out the parts that were confusing. It's always so easy when one knows how and almost impossible to tell if the instructions are clear or not.

I hope you recover quickly from your beesting and that the apron sewing goes smoothly from now on.

(I have now revised the pattern instructions and trust that they are clearer now.)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: