discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Her Excellency the Right Honourable MichaŽlle Jean

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Her Excellency the Right Honourable MichaŽlle Jean Reply with quote

When I first came to Canada in 1959, I was really struck by the Governor General, Georges Vanier. This was probably because I was only 9 at the time. Still, as I got older, I was still impressed with this fellow up until his death in 1967. The people appointed to this position since have all failed to impress in the same manner. Since I'm a wannbe Canuck (soon, I hope), I'm curious how other fellow Canadians feel, both about the position and the current appointee.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Wed 19 Oct, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Her Excellency the Right Honourable MichaŽlle Jean Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
I'm curious how other fellow Canadians feel, both about the position and the current appointee.

It might be fun to have a smart and glamourous governor general who will be a star and put Canada on the map. We haven't had any glamour since Trudeau.

As to the office, well, I suppose we could become a Republic. Are Canadians ready for this? Probably not as lone as Elizabeth is our Queen. And do we really want a President -- I've always felt sorry for Americans when they've been thinking of impeachment of a president. Canadians don't get nearly as bent out of shape about the idea of getting rid of a PM!

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Her Excellency the Right Honourable MichaŽlle Jean Reply with quote

CAM wrote:

[...]
Canadians don't get nearly as bent out of shape about the idea of getting rid of a PM!

They might if his name were George Walker Bush. happy

DataRyder

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Thu 20 Oct, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Her Excellency the Right Honourable MichaŽlle Jean Reply with quote

DataRyder wrote:
CAM wrote:

[...]
Canadians don't get nearly as bent out of shape about the idea of getting rid of a PM!

They might if his name were George Walker Bush. happy

Yeah, they'd sure get rid of a GWB PDQ! The party of a guy like GWB would get rid of him without the fuss and paroxysms of agony, effort and trouble that they have in the US which goes to such a lot of bother to elect one d... (whoops, I meant President)

I suspect Canadians would rise up pretty quickly if they their PM said "God told me to attack Afghanistan..." To quote BLM, "Brrr..." But no impeachment necessary -- no no no not at all. The party'd just call a leadership convention! And the leader would be persuaded not to run again and everyone would applaude, give nice speeches and give him a gold watch. (Well, so I've observed. I think Canadians are pretty deeply democratic. It's seems to be harder to get rid of party than an individual leader.)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: