discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

dessert for two, revisited

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 19 Nov, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: dessert for two, revisited Reply with quote

Quote:
originally posted by blm on Sep 26, 04 - 8:37 PM
Related Website: http://etherwork.net/recipes/blackforestcake.html#choccake

Since there are only two of us, any normal recipe for pie or cake makes far too much. After we've had the treat for dessert, there is usually way more than half left over, leading to too much dessert-eating.

I've recently started making a fraction of a recipe giving exactly enough for one dessert-for-two.

Next time I'm going to make 1/8 recipe of
double-fudge pudding cake. (Drool.)

The double-fudge pudding cake is great (actually, I make 1/3 the recipe, not 1/8), but tonight I made a spice cake variation that was really good. Instead of adding cocoa to the cake part, I added about nutmeg, ground cloves, ground cardamom, cinnamon plus some grated ginger. And I added cinnamon to the topping instead of cocoa.

Here's the recipe for spice cake for two.

Cake Dry Ingredients
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp each nutmeg, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon
2/3 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt

Cake Wet Ingredients
1-2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/6 cup milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Topping Ingredients
1/6 cup brown sugar
1/6 cup white sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Hot Water
7 tbsp hot water (almost half a cup)

[1] Heat oven to 350 F.
    [2] Combine the three sets of ingredients.
    [3] Stir the Cake Wet Ingredients into the Cake Dry Ingredients and spoon the mixture into small ramekins or maybe large muffin cups (our ramekins are about 3 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches deep). The cake mixture should only come up about half way. Make three if it seems like there's too much batter.
    [4] Pour the Topping Ingredients in a layer over the cake.
    [5] Pour the Hot Water over the topping, but don't stir.
    [6] Bake for 25-30 minutes just until a just before a skewer would come out clean (Isn't that like "get off the bus one stop before I do?) - it's best if it doesn't get overcooked.
    [7] Let cool for about 15 minutes.
    [8] Dig in! la la la

For the chocolate version,

• use white sugar for the cake (although I'm sure brown would be fine)
  • add 1 tbsp cocoa to the cake and 2 tbsp cocoa to the topping.
  • and leave out the spices (stomp)

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Doctor Says Spice Cake

At least, I'm sure my doctor WOULD say Spice Cake as an anodyne if I made her some. It's brilliant! There's a lovely sauce on the bottom, the flavour is excellent, especially with the fresh ginger--nice and spicy!!

I made two smallish ramekins as recommended by blm but I think my ramekins are a little bit smaller. They seemed awfully full when I poured the hot water over top so I cleverly put the ramekins in a pyrex baking dish. Did I also cleverly put tin foil in the baking dish before I put the ramekins in? No. My boy and I ate the cakes by dipping into the ramekins stuck to the pyrex dish. Perhaps the slogan "Spice Cake! You're soaking in it" would be applicable here. skip skip skip stomp stomp stomp

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
My Doctor Says Spice Cake

At least, I'm sure my doctor WOULD say Spice Cake as an anodyne if I made her some. It's brilliant! There's a lovely sauce on the bottom, the flavour is excellent, especially with the fresh ginger--nice and spicy!!
Glad you liked it!
MrsBrown wrote:
... Did I also cleverly put tin foil in the baking dish before I put the ramekins in? No. My boy and I ate the cakes by dipping into the ramekins stuck to the pyrex dish. Perhaps the slogan "Spice Cake! You're soaking in it" would be applicable here. skip skip skip stomp stomp stomp

"You're soaking in it!" Hee heeee.

I should have mentioned that it's a good idea to put the ramekins in a pie pan or some other baking dish. Even when the water doesn't quite come to the top, there's usually a bit of overflow. Putting tin foil as well is a great idea, although I've never actually had mine bond to the pan.

I like it that it overflows a bit - it's kind of dramatic. We've served the chocolate version for dinner a couple of times and there's always a few people (myself included) who nibble offl the overflowed bits of cake from the outside of the ramekin. That overflow part just seems to taste a little bit better ... bravo!

I guess it would have been impossible for you to nibble off the bits of cake, given that the ramekins were stuck to the baking dish. la la la Snort - I can't help imagining it though. stomp

When you make the regular amount of cake in a regular cake pan, putting the water in doesn't get anywhere near the top of the pan. I think maybe that's a recipe for three or four ramekins. (My ramekins are probably the same size as yours - the water was right at the top of mine.)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: