discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Sexsomnia??? Oh please...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Sexsomnia??? Oh please... Reply with quote

I cannot believe it!!! I realize I haven't heard the whole story but really! This is becoming increasingly disturbing. It really does seem that we have things backwards.

Recently, several teenagers were arrested on rape charges and there was a huge public outcry against the police and the girl who had made the accusation. (Please don't misunderstand. I'm not saying that the teenagers were necessarily guilty but on the same token, the girl is not necessarily lying either)

And then this morning I saw this:

CBC news wrote:

Man acquitted in sex assault because he was asleep
Last Updated Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:27:49 EST CBC News

A judge in Toronto has acquitted a 33-year-old man of sexual assault, accepting evidence he was asleep during the attack.
"His conduct was not voluntary," said Justice Russell Otter in a Toronto Sun report. read the whole story

It seems rather apropos to have read the following today:
whinetasting.com wrote:
While all people, male or female, should learn to be aware of their surroundings and take basic steps to avoiding altercations to begin with, this kind of drives home the point that the root of the problem is not the victim and the steps never taken but the perpetrator and in some cases cultures that do not discourage violent behavior, particularly against women.
LJ user lupabitch wrote:

A lot has been said about how to prevent rape.

[...]
instead of that

[...]
if a woman is drunk, don't rape her.
if a woman is walking alone at night, don't rape her.
if a women is drugged and unconscious, don't rape her.
if a woman is wearing a short skirt, don't rape her.
if a woman is jogging in a park at 5 am, don't rape her.
[...]
don't perpetuate a culture that tells you that you have no control over or responsibility for your actions. You can, too, help yourself.
If you agree, repost it. It's that important.

(read the whole article at whinetasting.com...)

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Many directions Reply with quote

I may be dense (and male ) but I don't quite see the connection between the drunken rape and the year long abuse of the girl at the Toronto high school; rape is the connection?

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Many directions Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
I may be dense (and male ) but I don't quite see the connection between the drunken rape and the year long abuse of the girl at the Toronto high school; rape is the connection?

Non-consensual sex and sexual assault and harassment are both forms of violence.

Denial of responsibility by the alleged perpetrator is a common theme in these stories.

I have no opinion concerning the truth of what happened in either case. Regardless of what happened, I think many girls and women would find both of these stories chilling. It's still true that most rapes and sexual assaults and sexual harassment go unreported -- worldwide.

The webpage you referred to is great. What could be underlined is the responsibility of bystanders to stop turning a blind eye. Many perpetrators could be stopped if bystanders stopped bystanding.

See how one city decided to call a halt to the complicity of bystanders to bullying: http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/article.cfm?id=5903.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Many directions Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
MEF wrote:

Denial of responsibility by the alleged perpetrator is a common theme in these stories.

Exactly. Along with the idea that the alleged perpetrators are the victims rather than the ones who are reporting the crimes. Both of these stories seem to be encouraging rape victims to keep silent because (a) they won't be believed or (b) the rapist will be exonerated because of lack of evidence that the rape was committed knowingly.

"I beg your pardon, your Honour, but I was as surprised as everyone to discover what I did at the party. I was sure I was fast asleep and dreaming. Gosh, maybe I'm dreaming now. Pinch me."

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Many directions Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

Exactly. Along with the idea that the alleged perpetrators are the victims rather than the ones who are reporting the crimes. Both of these stories seem to be encouraging rape victims to keep silent because (a) they won't be believed or (b) the rapist will be exonerated because of lack of evidence that the rape was committed knowingly.

"I beg your pardon, your Honour, but I was as surprised as everyone to discover what I did at the party. I was sure I was fast asleep and dreaming. Gosh, maybe I'm dreaming now. Pinch me."

"... and your honour, you can see the depth of my sexsomnia in the fact that I was able to find and don a condom in the deep deep sleep that was in at the time of the alleged act."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: