discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

vanilla sugar

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msh210
registered

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: vanilla sugar Reply with quote

Recipes call for vanilla and sugar, but I only have vanilla sugar (actually, artificial vanillin sugar). Can I substitute the vanilla sugar for the vanilla and some of the sugar? If so, in what proportions?

Thanks,

msh210 (an old-timer who hasn't been here since the forum moved from Bravenet;
hi, ll!)

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with vanilla sugar except to use for some cookies I once made--I don't even remember if I used them in the recipe or after they were baked. I looked at the Cook's Thesaurus website and it suggests that you can use vanilla sugar in place of vanilla but it doesn't really give proportions. Sorry not to be of more help. hohoho hohoho hohoho

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: vanilla sugar Reply with quote

msh210 wrote:
Recipes call for vanilla and sugar, but I only have vanilla sugar (actually, artificial vanillin sugar). Can I substitute the vanilla sugar for the vanilla and some of the sugar? If so, in what proportions?

Welcome back, msh!! So glad to see you have returned. skip

I must say that I'm not a big fan of artificial vanilla. If it were me, I'd spring for pure vanilla extract and use that. But yes, you can probably use vanilla sugar as a substitute. Quantities, though. Hmmmm....

Cook's Thesaurus wrote:
vanilla sugar To make your own: Put a vanilla bean in a pound of granulated sugar for a week.
Cook's Thesaurus

But M. Paavonkallio says that vanilla sugar is a GOOD substitute for vanilla. Unfortunately, she DOESN'T give any clue about quantity. She only cautions against the use of Oetker (Dr. Oetker) "Natural Vanilla Sugar", saying that it is horrible and doesn't taste at all like vanilla.

Aha!!! There is a recipe for Very Easy Vanilla Cream Cheese Pie in the
Chef2Chef recipe club that has an equivalent:

Chef2Chef wrote:
1/2 cup [brand name] Vanilla Sugar or 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Wow!! To me that indicates that vanilla sugar is very strong in vanilla flavour!

Let's see now, if your recipe calls for 1 tsp vanilla extract... Yikes!! Complex! (1 c = 16 Tbsp; 1 Tbsp = 3 tsp)

1 c vanilla sugar = 1 cup sugar + 6 tsp vanilla extract

Okay, break the cup into teaspoons so that one can figure how much sugar for ONE teaspoon of vanilla....

48 tsp vanilla sugar = 48 tsp sugar + 6 tsp vanilla extract

so

8 tsp vanilla sugar = 8 tsp sugar + 1 tsp vanilla extract

* *! * * * * *! * * * * *! * * *

Oh oh...

This Dobos Torte Recipe has a different interpretation:

epicurean.com - dobos torte recipe wrote:
Scant 2/3 cup Vanilla Sugar
[...]
If you have no vanilla sugar on hand, substitute plain sugar and a few drops of pure vanilla extract.

Hmmm, THAT recipe is indicating that vanilla sugar isn't all that vanilla flavoured. I guess you'll have to use your nose. If the vanilla sugar smells really vanilla-y, then go with the first equivalence. If not, then round off the equivalences and decide that 1/4 c vanilla sugar = 1/4 c sugar + 1 tsp vanilla extract Hope that helps!! la la la

(Are you SURE you wouldn't rather just toss the artificial vanilla sugar and get some real vanilla in the form of a bean or pure extract? stomp)

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Here's another one Reply with quote

http://www.germancorner.com/recipes/hints/vanillasugar.html

It says 1 package of vanilla sugar = 1 tsp vanilla extract, and then it says that if you make your own vanilla sugar from a vanilla bean, that 1 1/2 tsp = 1 package of Vanilla Sugar.

Interestingly, among all this rigour, the amount of sugar in the homemade vanilla sugar jar is not specified. Even if "one airtight jar" was a specific amount, you add more sugar as time goes on. la la la

I guess llizard's recommendation to use your nose is probably the only way. stomp

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found one packet (9 grams) of Oetker Vanilla Sugar in my cupboard (I wonder how old it is?) and it says on it "One pouch of oetker Vanilla Sugar is equivalent to 1-2 tsp of vanilla extract." I have to agree with llizard though, I'd go out and buy some real vanilla extract and toss the vanilla sugar. As I recall, it's not very good. hohoho hohoho hohoho skip skip la la la stomp stomp stomp

msh210
registered

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... All these contradictory Web sites....

Maybe I'll just foillow my nose, as ll suggests.

It does seem clear, though, that the amount of vanilla sugar is the amount of sugar; the only debate is how much vanilla to include.

Thanks for all your help, folks,

and for the welcome, ll,

and happy holidays,

msh210

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: vanilla sugar Reply with quote

msh210 wrote:
msh210 (an old-timer who hasn't been here since the forum moved from Bravenet;
hi, ll!)

It's great to have you back, msh210! Sounds as though others have answered the question about vanilla sugar. Fascinating! I'd never heard of it!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Welcome back msh!!!!! Reply with quote

!) forget artificial vanilla extract
2) if you want vanilla sugar - just buy 1 vanilla bean an leave the outer part in some sugar after having scraped out the real stuff.

Cool to see you back. Your website
http://www.math.wustl.edu/~msh210/msh210.html has expanded!!!!

Mats

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: