discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Ishtar

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Ishtar Reply with quote

I'm happy to see that Ishtar is making it into the cult movie status. I decided the time was nigh for my son, who loves slapstick humour of any sort, to see Ishtar. He thought it was kind of funny, not as funny as I think but he was still amused. I still think it's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen--not the best plot but certainly the best bad songs of all time. I looked for a soundtrack to purchase but according to the website: http://www.ishtarthemovie.com/ no soundtrack was made.

What's YOUR favourite song from the movie? For me, it's a toss up between "Leaving Some Love In My Will" and "Telling the Truth is a Dangerous Business".

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ishtar Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I'm happy to see that Ishtar is making it into the cult movie status.

Exclamation Question Question Exclamation Question

MrsBrown wrote:
What's YOUR favourite song from the movie? For me, it's a toss up between "Leaving Some Love In My Will" and "Telling the Truth is a Dangerous Business".

Okay, I confess that I've never actually seen this movie. At the time, I just couldn't bring myself to watch Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty in a musical. And now, in spite of your glowing review, MrsBrown, seeing that the movie gets 19% at Rotten Tomatoes doesn't make me want to rush to the video rental store to borrow a copy.

MrsBrown wrote:
I looked for a soundtrack to purchase but according to the website: http://www.ishtarthemovie.com/ no soundtrack was made.

wikipedia - Ishtar_(film) excerpt:

The studio had originally planned on pressing a soundtrack album from the film and even sending Beatty and Hoffman on a promotional tour, singing songs from the picture. Those plans were promptly scrapped when the poor reception for the film started to rain down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishtar_(film)

I looked around a little on ishtarthemovie.com and had to quickly leave when I got to www.ishtarthemovie.com/songs.htm

THAT A LAWNMOWER CAN DO ALL THAT music/lyrics P. Williams
WARDROBE OF LOVE music/lyrics P. Williams
HALF HOUR SONG music/lyrics Beatty/Hoffman(!)
BREAK OFF A PINCH OF YOU music/lyrics Hoffman(!!)
SITTING ON THE EDGE OF MY LIFE music/lyrics Hoffman(!!!)

AAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I couldn't look any more. I had to avert my eyes.

Do you think those guys laugh or gag when their friends and colleagues have the audacity to mention "Ishtar"?

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ishtar Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
...snip...I looked around a little on ishtarthemovie.com and had to quickly leave when I got to www.ishtarthemovie.com/songs.htm

THAT A LAWNMOWER CAN DO ALL THAT music/lyrics P. Williams
WARDROBE OF LOVE music/lyrics P. Williams
HALF HOUR SONG music/lyrics Beatty/Hoffman(!)
BREAK OFF A PINCH OF YOU music/lyrics Hoffman(!!)
SITTING ON THE EDGE OF MY LIFE music/lyrics Hoffman(!!!)

AAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I couldn't look any more. I had to avert my eyes.

Do you think those guys laugh or gag when their friends and colleagues have the audacity to mention "Ishtar"?

But this is the whole point of the songs--they had to be believably bad and they are so bad, they are hilarious--kind of like Jack Benny playing the violin. whoohoo! whoo hoo! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had the chance to not see it. The movie was so badly slammed by US critics that I don't think it was even released in the UK.
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ishtar Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I'm happy to see that Ishtar is making it into the cult movie status. ...

I thought Ishtar was funny, too. I was surprised when it was so heavily panned, almost as if everyone thought the movie was serious and that the songs and the singing were supposed to be good.

I haven't seen it in a while; the only song I remember is "Telling the Truth is a Dangerous Business".

la la la

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: