discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Which way is she spinning? Clockwise or counter-clockwise?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which way is she dancing?
Clockwise
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Counter-clockwise
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Both Clockwise and counter-clockwise - depending on how I squint
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Spinning?? She isn't spinning... she's kicking back and forth
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
You call that dancing??! She makes me queasy. Make her stop!
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Which way is she spinning? Clockwise or counter-clockwise? Reply with quote

This is cool:

An Australian newspaper recently published a "Left Brain v Right Brain Test"

So... what do you see?

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I see the girl dancing clockwise but if I really concentrate on her feet then she suddenly starts doing some back and forth kicks and then turns counter-clockwise. Then I have to REALLY concentrate on her feet again to make her turn clockwise.

There is a pretty good explanation of the optical illusion here:
The Spinning Dancer and the Brain

Last edited by ejm on Fri 26 Oct, 2007 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Watch the foot Reply with quote

As soon as the foot turns, she reverses!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see her turning clockwise. If I concentrate only on the feet or cover the top half or the bottom half it makes difference to my brain. I can't even trick myself into seeing it any other way which suggests I'm right-brained. However, the list of left brain functions has many more matches to how I see myself which suggests I'm left-brained. Now I'm confused. Or deluded. Or probably both.
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only see her turning clockwise, even if I only look at her head or feet.

On every other right/left brain test like this that I've taken, I have been strongly left brain. For those particular lists of traits, I put myself about half in the left column and half in the right column.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I looked she was clearly spinning counter clockwise and I didn't have time to write an answer. The next time, when I had a little more time but was more tired, she was clearly spinning clockwise. I was confused and went to bed. Since then, I wondered if every time I clicked on the link, she would change directions and sure enough, if I check the link in another tab, watch her spin, close the link, open it again in another tab, she's spinning the other way. I can't make her change directions by looking at her but then I can't see those depth perception pictures at the eye doctor either.

Like blm, parts of both sets of traits applied to me. whoo hoo! whoo hoo! whoo hoo!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness! Now she's changing direction for a few revolutions every so often especially if I look at the shadow for a while. But she's still mainly turning clockwise. (This is late in the evening after a couple of glasses of Chianti so it may be me that's spinning).
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
...especially if I look at the shadow for a while...

Aha! If I only look at the shadow, she suddenly turns counterclockwise. I can then bring the whole picture into view and see the whole dancer turning counterclockwise, but as soon as I blink, she flips back.

Whee! la la la

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Which way is she spinning? Clockwise or counter-clockwis Reply with quote

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I first saw her turning clockwise but suddenly after staring at the shadow she started turning counter-clockwise, but at the very same time Mr. CAM saw her turning clockwise. Weird.
What does this mean? I've never been able to keep right and left brain stuff straight. One of my friends was into this and when I was talking with her once`she said "that's left brain" then a while later she said "that's right brain." Then I did one of those little tests on the internet which said I was in the middle. But I don't know what any of that means! Do I want to be left, right or middle brained!

Last edited by CAM on Mon 29 Oct, 2007 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering how valid this test was as an indicator of a left/right brain so I did a little research. It seems that the concept of left-right brain dominance is an over-simplification based on the fact that some brain functions are located in one side of the brain only. The theory goes that people who display multiple skills in areas controlled mainly by one side of the brain have dominance of that side of the brain. My understanding is that the concept of "dominance" is bogus. There are no left or right-brained people. Possession of multiple skills controlled by one specific side of the brain do not infer that an individual will have enhanced skill in other areas controlled by the same side. I think the worst part of this is assigning concepts like "creativity" or "intuition" to one side of the brain when this is not supported by medical evidence.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I was wondering how valid this test was as an indicator of a left/right brain so I did a little research.

The article that I pointed to (The Green Gabbro (greengabbro.net): Spinning Dancer and the Brain) in my first post on this (I guess I shouldn't have put it into the spoiler section) says that the spinning dancer isn't really a left/right brain test at all but just a clever optical illusion.

In a similar vein, listen to some Philomel Records (philomel.com): musical illusions. (My personal favourite is "Mysterious Melody")

David wrote:
I think the worst part of this is assigning concepts like "creativity" or "intuition" to one side of the brain when this is not supported by medical evidence.

You have a valid point, David. I can well imagine some people taking this test and immediately assuming that if they are "left brained" (or is it "right"??) they cannot be creative. I suspect that everything can be learned.

I remember taking one of these tests around ten years ago (I think it must have been circulated via the internet) and placing pretty much in the center. I'll bet you anything that just about everyone places somewhere in the center.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Hmmmm... Reply with quote

I have to declare to all that I'm a failure at Binaural integration of melodic patterns,Dichotic listening to melodic patterns, and its relationship to hemispheric specialization of function .AND, Grouping mechanisms in music. But, I did try!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: