discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

do these vocabulary drills to donate rice

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: do these vocabulary drills to donate rice Reply with quote

If you have a minute please check out this site, and if you like the idea pass it on to your friends. Build your vocabulary, too. Free Rice - help end world hunger! http://www.freerice.com/index.php

Last edited by CAM on Tue 06 Nov, 2007 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only useful, but fun. After a while, the words get harder and harder. I read the FAQ, about the vocabulary levels, and how it's almost impossible to go above level 48. At the time, I was at level 47, and I felt competitive so I spent ages trying to get to 50 (the top level). I got to 49 a few times, but I always sunk to 46 or 47 right after that.

How frustrating that it takes 3 in a row to go up a level, and only 1 in a row to go down. 49, 49, 48, 47, 46 aughghhgg!

But I'm up to 2560 grains of rice!

la la la

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clearly need to spend more time practicing if I hope to stay above level 40.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hovering around 40 or 41 stomp and then got up to 47 whoohoo! and then promptly slid back down to 40 stomp stumbled into the high thirties la la la and then trudged back up to 45 and have somehow managed to clamber up to bravo! 48 bravo!. I'm afraid to guess what "rede" means because I KNOW I'm going to be thrown back down to 47, 46, 45, 44, 43, 42, 41....

Have you noticed that some words are repeated just to mock you?

(I'm up to 2480 grains of rice.)

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
I was hovering around 40 or 41 stomp and then got up to 47 whoohoo!

I was hovering around 44 or 45 for a while. It sets the vocabulary level after about 5 tries.

So this evening I deliberately tried to get all but one wrong, and it set me at level one. The words were easy at that level, so I think even a kid could do these drills. Once one is set at level 1 it takes a long time to get up to 40! But still one contributes rice for every right answer. Very satisfying no matter what one's level.

I find that around 41 the words qet very difficult and I'm often just guessing based on what I imagine may be the Greek or Latin roots.

It's a wonderful game. I like the http://www.poverty.com/ site which dramatizes deaths by hunger but without using real names or photos; uses computerized composites instead.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: