Eggless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Icing
© ejmorris 2002, 2003
We call this eggless cake Patrushka Cake and got the recipe from my sister's Godmother. However, I have heard that it is sometimes called one pan or wacky cake because it has no eggs and does not require a greased pan (it can be made in the pan it will be cooked in)
It makes the best chocolate cake I've ever had.
turn oven to 350F
Ingredients for one UNGREASED 8"x8" square pan or one 9" round pan
1½ c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 c white sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp white vinegar
5 Tbsp melted butter
1 c LUKEWARM water
- Turn oven to 350F. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Make 3 holes; pour vanilla, melted butter, vinegar into the holes. Over that quickly pour LUKEWARM water. Beat well.
- Pour batter into an 8inch square UNGREASED cake pan or make a double recipe to bake in two 9inch round UNGREASED pans at 350F for 30 minutes or til a cake tester comes out cleanly.
Tip: If you are making a layered cake, it is easier to remove the cakes from the pans if you line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper.
This cake also makes very good cupcakes. Leave out the cocoa powder to make a very good White Cake.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
- 1½ c icing sugar
- ½ c unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 3 Tbsp sweet butter
- 3 Tbsp cream cheese (with guar gum)
- 3 Tbsp HOT water or coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla
- plain yoghurt, optional
- Sift icing sugar, cocoa powder and salt together.
- Cream in butter and cream cheese.
- Add water (or coffee) and vanilla. If the icing is too stiff, add a bit of plain yoghurt.
Spread icing on cooled cake.