Chicken (or Lamb) CousCous with Dried Fruits
© ejmorris 2000, 2002, 2008
revised April 2008
- 2 Tbsp veg oil
- 1 inch stick cinnamon
- 1 whole dry chilli
- 1 inch piece ginger, chopped finely
- 1 tsp crushed cumin seed
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seed
- 4 skinless chicken thighs (or boneless lamb, chopped in 1 inch cubes)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely
- water to cover
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 dried apricots
- 4 pitted prunes
- 1 lemon, juice and thinly pared rind
- 1 Tbsp clear honey
Adapted from A Culinary Guide to Herbs, Spices and Flavourings by Arabella Boxer, Jocasta Innes, Charlotte Parry-Crooke and Lewis Esson, Octopus Books © 1984
- Heat oil in large casserole (we use our wok), add chilli and cook until "blackened" (very dark brown).
- Add onion and garlic sauté til soft and lightly coloured.
- Add the cinnamon, ginger, cumin and coriander and stir around for 1 minute.
- Add the meat and fry over a moderate heat for 5-6 minutes, turning from time to time, until browned on all sides. Add enough water to cover. Cook for 1 hour.
- Add the apricots, prunes, lemon rind, lemon juice and honey and stir well to mix. Cover and simmer to warm.
- Serve straight from the casserole on steamed couscous. (also good with rice)