Ginger Shortbread Cookies © llizard aka ejm 2002
2 c sweet butter, room temperature
½ c icing sugar
½ c demarara sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp (or more) fresh ginger, finely grated
1/8 tsp salt
4 c all-purpose flour
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Stir in egg, ginger and salt.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Refrigerate dough for a half hour.
- When dough is cold, roll out to about 1/4 inch thick and cut with a 2" star shaped cookie cutter. Make some tiny stars (from a child's cookie cutter set) as well.
- Bake on parchment paper for 15 minutes in a pre-heated 325 F oven or until golden brown. Let cool on a rack. The tiny stars, of course, take less time to bake. The small cookies are lovely accents for a dish of ice cream with mincemeat.
(Next Christmas, I may try making them with even more ginger and 3/4 demerara sugar and 1/4 icing sugar.)
above recipe based on Xerez Haffenden's Fresh Ginger Shortbread With White & Dark Chocolate Drizzles http://www.vancouver.cbc.ca/contests/cookie/recipe12.html