Broccoli Soup © llizard aka ejm 2000,2002
based on a recipe in the Ontario Milk Calendar - can't remember what year
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 whole dry chili pepper
1 whole clove garlic
1 onion, chopped
1 bunch broccoli, washed, trimmed and chopped
1 c chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1 bay leaf
1½ c milk (or ½ c powdered milk and 1½ c water)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cardamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp ground coriander seed
1/8 tsp ground cumin seed
1/8 tsp ground ginger
½ c plain yoghurt (optional)
- Put oil in big pot. Add chili pepper and sauté until it is dark brown almost black.
- Add onions and whole clove of garlic; cook until softened. Remove chili and garlic and discard.
- Add broccoli pieces and stock (1 c. water and stock powder will do); simmer, covered for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Purée until smooth. Return to heat and stir in milk and spices; heat through but do not boil.
- Serve hot or cold with a spoonful of yoghurt as garnish in each bowl. If you want to be really fancy, reserve a few flowerets of broccoli, blanche them and use them as garnish too.
If you don't have all those spices on hand, eliminate the chili pepper and garlic clove and replace the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, coriander, cumin, ginger and turmeric with commercial curry powder to taste (the original recipe called for ½ tsp curry powder). I altered the recipe because I've never tasted a commercial curry powder that I've liked.
Serve with crusty bread and a good ripe brie. The soup is also good with cheese baking powder biscuits or Cider Cheese bread.