Chicken Livers Maryland
© ejmorris 2003
ideal for brunch
4 slices bacon
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 lb chicken livers, washed and trimmed
10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp dried basil
¼ tsp dried rosemary
freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 eggs, hard boiled and quartered
½ c plain yoghurt (or sour cream for the decadent)
- Fry bacon in a skillet til done. Remove from pan, let cool and crumble. Set aside for garnish.
- Melt butter and oil in the skillet. Add onion and sauté until golden.
- Cut chicken livers into bite size pieces. Add to the onion mixture and sauté over medium heat until tender (about 4 minutes).
- Add soup, herbs and freshly ground pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add eggs and yoghurt and stir over medium heat until warmed. Watch that it does not boil; yoghurt has a tendency to curdle. Garnish with crumbled bacon, paprika
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and paprika.
Serve with pumpernickle bread and grilled tomatoes.