© TPH & llizard aka ejm 2000, 2001, 2002
Ingredients recipe for one 9 inch pie plate
2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 c vegetable shortening (use unsalted butter if you want very rich pastry)
ICE-COLD water (anywhere from ¼ c to ½ c)
1 c TVP (textured vegetable protein - available at health food stores)
½ to ¾ c vegetable stock
1½ Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 c mushrooms, chopped
1 c fine dry breadcrumbs
1 tsp ground pepper
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp savory
¼ tsp thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 handful toasted almonds, chopped
1 handful dries cranberries or raisins
1 good pinch of cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp butter
¼ c beer (or more vegetable stock)
- Pastry: N.B. It's important to handle this pastry as little as possible. Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour and salt until it is pea sized. Add ICE-COLD water a little at a time and mix lightly with your hands until it is pastry consistency. Please note that the amount of water changes drastically, depending on the humidity. (For whatever pastry recipe you use, if it is very humid, reduce the amount of water called for.)
- Divide the pastry into two equal parts. Handling it as little as possible, roll out the bottom crust on a lightly floured board. Put in pie plate. Trim. Roll out top crust and loosely roll around the rolling pin. Lay the rolling pin on top of the pie plate. REFRIGERATE AT LEAST ONE HOUR. It's the refrigeration before baking that does the trick. It makes the pastry flakier.
- Filling: Soak TVP in vegetable stock (it should absorb all the liquid). Add more stock or TVP to make it the consistency of ground beef.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron frying pan. Saute
onions until transluscent. Add mushrooms and cook for 3-4
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in breadcrumbs, seasonings, almonds and
cranberries. Adjust spices to taste.
- Stir in wet TVP and beer. Cook until all
the liquid has evaporated but mixture is still moist. You may need
to adjust the amount of liquid depending on the heat and the
absorbancy of the TVP.
- Let cool slightly.
- Put into a pie shell. Put the top pastry piece on. Crimp edges,
and slash the top. Place in refrigerator for about ½ an hour.
- Bake the pie in a preheated 425F oven for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350F and bake 45-55 minutes more until the pies are golden.
Serve with Major Grey Mango Chutney (mild English style chutney) and/or cranberry confit and/or cranberry sauce.
Revised from a recipe found at Veggies Unite! http://www.vegweb.com/food/